RFE: FolderAccessTimeout -- increase default value?

Discuss new features and functions

JDB

Hi,

I have had to go into GlobalSettings.xml and change the FolderAccessTimeout value to a higher number because I have a sluggish external USB drive that takes its sweet time spinning up.

Perhaps the drive bearings need a lube job :-), or I need a new drive, but whatever the case is, I wonder if the default FolderAccessTimeout value could be set to 30 instead of 20.

I know that sounds like an awful lot of time for a drive to spin up. (remember 5.25" 300 MB days when they would come up in less than 5 seconds?) Nowadays we have Windows, Complicated File Systems, Customer Experience Improvement Programs, Power mis-Management, Auto-runners, and Virus Scanners, all getting in the way of quick availability to our data when we plug it in and let it sit idle awaiting the next access.

I don't mind changing the parameter myself, or just clicking "Try Again" when there is an error. However, for those who haven't used this program yet, perhaps changing the value from 20 to 30 might prevent a little anguish when they come on board.

FYI, my disk drive takes 21 seconds to spin up and come online, just one lousy second too long!

-John

PS: I urge everyone to write a letter to Microsoft and tell them that you don't want to do ANYTHING nor go ANYWHERE today!