Help with filter phrase

Get help for specific problems

gogreen1

I'm trying to exclude files for backup in my Mac's "/Photos Library.photoslibrary/" directories. Note the space in the spelling. I've entered "/Photos Library.photoslibrary/" in the exclusion list, but FFS ignores the rule, I think because of the space. How do I correct this and get FFS to exclude these files? Thanks.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 12.14.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 12.14.59 PM.png (147.81 KiB) Viewed 1319 times

Lady Fitzgerald

I've also had trouble figuring out how to make the "phrases". It would be nice if the GUI would let one could navigate to the file or folder to be excluded and choose to have it excluded.

Gianni1962

From User Manual: Exclude Items via Filter

For simple exclusions, just right-click and exclude one item or a list of items directly via the context menu on main dialog.

You do not have to use single quotes or double quotes.

Lady Fitzgerald

Those directions may make sense to you but that doesn't mean they make sense to everyone.

gogreen1

From User Manual: Exclude Items via Filter

For simple exclusions, just right-click and exclude one item or a list of items directly via the context menu on main dialog.Gianni1962, 05 Mar 2018, 11:33
Thanks, Gianni1962. Right-clicking and excluding that way works just fine. I didn't see I could do that!

Gianni1962

Those directions may make sense to you but that doesn't mean they make sense to everyone. Lady Fitzgerald, 05 Mar 2018, 16:02
I try to give you more details.

Do a Compare so the left and/or right lists get populated, then right-click and include or exclude one item or a list of items directly via the context menu.

Then take a look at the inclusion or exclusion generated and you will see that you do not have to put anything in single quotes or double quotes even when there are blanks in the paths or file names.

gogreen1

The quotation marks were never an issue for me. I put them in my original post only to distinguish the text from the path.I just forgot to include a note saying, "without quotation marks."

Gianni1962

I pointed out the question because in other software, the command prompt for example, when there are spaces in pathnames or filenames you must use the double quotes.

gogreen1

Good to know! Thank you for that.