Still on Donation Edition Key

Get help for specific problems

iLoathePCs

On 29 Mar 2018, I posted the following:

I have just migrated from an old PC to a new PC. While I was using the old PC, I donated to FreeFileSync and received a "Key" that afforded me a "Donation Edition". If I'm still entitled to a Donation Edition for my new PC, how/where do I enter my Key? Thanks for helping.

On 30 Mar 2018 I received a prompt response from Zenju (Site Admin) which read:

"Just reinstall"

Because the thread has now been marked with “nothing further to read” or the like, I think I’m forced to create a new post in order to say:

Just reinstall what? If you meant the most recent version of FreeFileSync (9.9), I’ve done that but failed to detect where to enter a "Donation Edition" key.

I have tried installing an older FreeFileSync 9.8 downloaded file “FreeFileSync_9.8_Windows_Setup_1588660272” which is in the same folder with a “Key File” named “FreeFileSync 9.8 Donation Edition Windows”. When I do this though, I get an error message. (See attached jpeg file)

Installing error message.jpg
Installing error message.jpg (19.63 KiB) Viewed 2316 times
I’m hoping you may have further instructions on how I should proceed in order to have an installed Donation Edition. Thank you.
Site Admin

Zenju

It's not clear what exactly your problem is: Is it that you are already using the donation editon (see the about dialog), but still want to enter the key? (why?)

The screenshot is showing version 9.7, not 9.8. Unrelated problem?

iLoathePCs

As stated in my last message, I'm presently using the 9.9 version which I understand is not a donation edition since it makes no mention of being so in its name and shows nothing about a donation edition in the "About" section as well. I no longer have a 9.7 Donation Edition because I deleted it when I moved up to a 9.8 version for which I do have a 9.8 Donation Edition "Key File". When I tried to install the 9.8 version, I received the error message shown above. I do not understand why an attempt at a 9.8 version installation appears to be looking for a 9.7 Donation Edition key. I would think it would look for the 9.8 Donation Edition "Key File" that is located in the same folder as the installation file. Hope this information helps you to better understand. If you need anything further, please ask. Of course I'll give you anything I can. Thank you.
Site Admin

Zenju

I'm not sure exactly what you did, but the problem seems to be implicit assumptions about how the installer and key file work. The two files, donation edition installer exe and key file belong together and do not have any use in separation. Therefore they are provided as a zip file that contains both.

iLoathePCs

I was hoping there might be a simple maneuver that could be employed to reinstate a donation edition. Since I don't seem to be able to communicate my circumstance sufficiently, I'll try another tact. Your records should show that I have made a donation and have been issued a donation key. In light of those points and the fact that, for whatever reason, I presently do not have a functioning donation edition, the easiest solution that occurs to me would be to simply receive a reissue of a donation installation zip file. Then I won't have any further need to be confusing to you. Thanks a bunch.
Site Admin

Zenju

You should have received a confirmation email directly after donating which contains the download link.

iLoathePCs

I wonder by what thought process you expect a months-old e-mail to still be existing. I'll grant that you have been quite responsive and that's a good thing. Unfortunately though, none of the responses have amounted to anything helpful. Too bad, I've appreciated your software very much. I wish you the best of luck with it in future.

huuurz

Sounds like a misunderstanding here.

You still have your keyfile and are just missing the donation edition installer, right?
I think Zenju can send you just the fitting installer so you can reinstall it.

This is under the assumption that the donation edition installer is the same for everyone and just looks for a valid key.

If you have lost your keyfile AND your personal link, it's never been different anywhere.
You "buy" it --> you lose it --> your fault.
Site Admin

Zenju

I can resend confirmation emails, no problem, I just need some details that identify the donation, like an email and date, or amount, etc. However, since the FreeFileSync Donation Edition installer is generated by the homepage, it cannot offer versions of FreeFileSync older than the current one. The functionality to handle versions is just not there, and it doesn't seem that there is much demand. If you want to keep old FFS versions, you need to backup the installer+key yourself.