Mirror files from different source folders into DropBox > multiple base folders error

Discuss new features and functions

LarrySabo

I’m trying to copy my Quicken data file and my QuickBooks data file to my DropBox folder as follows:

D:\WPDOCS\Quicken\ (Filter: *.QDF) -> C:\Users\Larry\Dropbox
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files (Filter: *.QBW) -> C:\Users\Larry\Dropbox

… but keep getting the following error: “Some files will be synchronized as part of multiple base folders. To avoid conflicts, set up exclude filters so that each updated file is considered by only one base folder.”

I have tried exclusions in each that exclude the other’s source folder and files to no avail. Suggestions?

Gianni1962

Modify the Right side folders so they don't fall exactly in the same folder:

C:\Users\Larry\Dropbox\Quicken\
C:\Users\Larry\Dropbox\QuickBooks\
Site Admin

Zenju

Alternatively, setting exclude filters for each folder pair will also work. The warning message is pretty smart and won't come up if the potential conflict is avoided via use of the filters.

LarrySabo

Thanks for the replies. I did try exclusion filters, as mentioned, but they had no effect. I just ignored the warning message and it mirrored the files just fine. I find it strange that such a warning should arise, as it seems clear to me that I'm trying to mirror/update source files with target files, not target files with target files.
Site Admin

Zenju

Thanks for the replies. I did try exclusion filters, as mentioned, but they had no effect. LarrySabo, 27 Apr 2018, 18:12
Did you use the filter exactly as suggested by the warning message? If the warning message still comes up, the conflict is not solved.

LarrySabo

@Zenju, what exactly does "set up exclude filters so that each updated file is considered by only one base folder” mean? For the Quicken task, I set the exclusion filter to *.QBW and for the Quickbooks task, I set it to *.QDF. That made no difference, I still got the same error.

I finally just modified the tasks to place the output in its own folder, as suggested by @Gianni1962. That works perfectly but this whole problem should not exist, as far as I can see. What's so complicated about syncing two different source files that reside in folders that have no common path to copies thereof in a common backup folder? I just don't get it.

Plerry

... What's so complicated about syncing two different source files that reside in folders that have no common path to copies thereof in a common backup folder? I just don't get it.LarrySabo, 28 Apr 2018, 01:06
What you think seems obvious, is likely because you make implicit assumptions that FFS can not afford to make.

Just imagine you would e.g. run two Mirror syncs to the same target folder.
A Mirror sync will (in essence) remove everything from the target folder that is not present in the source folder.
So running the first sync will make a mirror of the first source folder in the target,
then running the second sync will make a mirror of the second source folder in the target,
but will remove everything from the target folder that is not present in the second source,
including the files just copied over from the first source ....
That is why you get the warning!
And that is why you need to use the proper (local) Include and Exclude filter settings to avoid the warning.
You can choose to ignore the warning, and if you know what you are doing (or are lucky) that might be OK. But in general it is best to set up your sync such that you don't get the warning. Then you should be safe (beyond doubt).

LarrySabo

@Plerry, thanks for the very clear explanation. Any idea why my exclusion filters did not work?
For the Quicken task, I set the exclusion filter to *.QBW and for the Quickbooks task, I set it to *.QDF. That made no difference, I still got the same error.
I'll leave the task as is, where it mirrors the source files to files in their respective folders.