Log File Location on the Mac Version?

Get help for specific problems

bobjtx1

Before posting, I scanned through the manual and forums, but did not see an answer to this anywhere on the site. I did find info for the Windows version, and what info I found for the Mac version did not seem to be accurate (a posting indicated the log file might be stored in the application support directory). I also found information for creating custom named log files by using the Windows CMD / .bat process, but that does not exist on an OSX system. So...

1. Does FFS store a log file on the Mac version?
Currently, I am manually copying and pasting the text from the displayed log to a text file, which is pretty labor intensive.

2. If a log file is being stored on the Mac, what is the location?
- I looked in the /Library/Application Services/FreeFileSync folder and do not see any files other than a single "registered.dat" file.
- I also looked in the /private/var/logs and /private/tmp folders and did not see anything.
- I also perfomed a global search for Lastsyncs.log and lastsync.log, to no avail.

Thanks,
Bobj.
Site Admin

Zenju

- I looked in the /Library/Application Services/FreeFileSync folder and do not see any files other than a single "registered.dat" file. bobjtx1, 22 Jun 2018, 13:19
You missed the tilde: ~/Library/Application Services/FreeFileSync

bobjtx1

Thanks for the response, and that makes sense.

I looked in the user library (~/Library) and do see a "lastrun.ffs.gui" file which contains xml statements, but did not see any log files from previous runs. I assume these XML statements are the current settings for the current session. Does that mean this log file get over-written with the log information after each operation of FFS?. i.e., Do I need to manually rename the log file after each operation in order to save it? If so, what triggers FFS to overwrite the log file with the current session settings. i.e, What must I avoid doing to preserve the current log file till I can manually rename it?

bobjtx1

Whoops! Never mind, this is user error. I ran the scan on a laptop and was searching for the log file on a desktop. (I am running backups of a NAS to a USB connected to NAS drive, so am bouncing between computers.

My question about a printed manual stands though. That would be very helpful to read offline.
Thanks!