Name / Configuration Box clears current session

Get help for specific problems

bobjtx1

Not sure if this is a user error or bug, but when I want to browse a particular file that FFS 10.1 indicates will be acted on, I right click and open the file in Finder (OS X 10.10.5) and this works fine. However, when I click on the FFS window to bring it into focus (appears that I am clicking on the "Name" box in the upper left corner), my entire scan gets cleared and I have to start the (long!) scan all over again.

Questions:
1. Why would clicking on the white space in this area of the screen clear the current FFS scan?
2. I can not find the PDF manual to research detailed items such as this, as it does not appear in the download, and I could not find it on your site. Did you do away with the printed manual? If so, where online, could I find details for FFS such as what each icon represents, where log files are stored, are log files overwritten of does each operation have its own log filename (i.e., date & time appended to logfile name).

I have been burned by file synchronization software in the past, so before overwriting any backups I want to peruse what the file sync software is going to do, and save a log of what it did for possible debugging operations. Sometimes when I run the FFS scan I see proposed operations that don't make sense to me, so I want to understand what is going on before "pulling the trigger".
Ex.:
a) I copied a directory from a source drive to a destination drive. I then run FFS on the two drives, and FFS indicates a number of the files in the directory (all "photo" type files) have different file sizes (440mb vs 184mb). Since I just copied the files over, this makes no sense to me. E.g., I started browsing to look at the files in question, which is when I ran into the issue of FFS clearing the scan when I clicked back to it.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.
Bobjtx1

bobjtx1

Bump. Is this a bug?
Is clicking in the whitespace of the Name box (upper left corner of the screen) supposed to clear/delete your current scan? This seems like a bug. Clicking on a specific save filter filename should change the scan parameters, but not clear your scan until you initiate another scan. Clicking on the white space to bring the FFS screen into focus should not do anything (not change scan parameters or delete current scan information). This is happening on the Mac version on OS X 10.10.5.
Thanks,
Site Admin

Zenju

It's not a bug... The behavior is that of "selecting no configuration", equivalent to clicking "New".

bobjtx1

Thanks for the quick response Zenju. I wonder though, should clicking on white space (not clicking any buttons, icons, filenames, etc.) create a destructive action like clearing the current scan data? When the Finder/browser is on top of the FFS screen (FFS in background) one needs to click on the FFS screen to bring it to the foreground / give it focus. The Name box is a rather large piece of real estate. So clicking on the left side of the screen frequently hits this white space resulting in clearing all one's current work. Seems like a better approach would be to require the user to click an icon or button in order to initiate a destructive action. Perhaps this can be addressed in a future release?

Any other UI "gotchas" like this to be aware of? I couldn't find much information on what icons represent, or on common actions like clicking in the Name box in the online documentation.

Thanks,

bobjtx1

Ah ha! I see that in playing with the interface that one can close the Configuration box altogether to prevent this issue. Are there any issues with clicking in the Overview box to bring the FFS window back into focus? i.e., Clicking on the left side of the screen / Overview box and potentially clicking a line item in the box - that should not have any affect on the scan data, correct? One can safely use this space to bring the FFS window back into focus?