45,000 files in trash!

Get help for specific problems

LonnyJarrett

Hello,I've been using FFS for a while now with no problem. I did a back up a few hours ago and there are now 45,000 files in the trash. I'm backing up to an external drive and when I eject it, the files disappear from the trash. Many of these files have names and designations I've never seen before like "facetile" and .lij, .lisj. There are many folders with long nonsense names like "0bAtraP8T8ewS7GQ%8nfUA" that have thumbnail photos in them. Many of the files have much older dates than the current file on the disk I back up to. If I search the file on my backup disk such as "5T Metal 19-30-18-402" the file "5T Metal" shows up but NOT if I search "5T Metal 19-30-18-402." None of the "Facetile" files show up if I search the backup disk.Some of the folders and files don't seem to exist on the disk Im backing up.

In all, it seems as though these are all files "Ghosted"by various programs used to operate in the background, old versions, old saved copies, out of date folders that have since been changed in name etc...

I certainly didn't accidentally move these to the trash-I wouldn't even know where to find them! Does FFS make space by occasionally moving files to clean the disk? Im using version 10 Build 5.3.2018.I have 1.4 TB free o9n the disk Im backing up to so it doesn't seem space was an issue.-Any help appreciated. Lonny
Site Admin

Zenju

Does FFS make space by occasionally moving files to clean the disk? LonnyJarrett, 09 Jul 2018, 19:34
No. Maybe the deletion times shown in the trash can give some more clues regarding who put them there.

LonnyJarrett

Thank you, Im the only one who uses the computer.....How do I find deletion times? Apple has no idea where these files came from.....I don't either.....And they couldn't all be from the same folder as there are many file types, folders etc....

LonnyJarrett

OK figured it out...they were added as long as three years ago and as recently as today! And this is weird because I deleted the contents of my trash yesterday so only 2 files should be in there and these are the two that show when I eject the BU disk.....! Any thoughts?????? VOODOO

LonnyJarrett

I can see the FFS is involved in this....I opened the trash, used FFS to sync mythic-membership macbook pro and the back up disk and watched as 6 files were added to the trash. Here they are! I did nOT put these in the trash it happened with synchronization.

Backup of I E S Perspectives 18-22-19-268.docx
I E S Perspectives 18-22-19-272.docx
SHC 2018 Upgraded 18-22-19-056.myo
SPP 2018 Upgraded 18-22-19-177.myo
ND.com 2018 Upgraded 18-22-18-630.myo
2018-07-07 (Folder)

LonnyJarrett

I just synchronized my iPhoto library adding 56 GB and watched 1600 files added to the trash.
Site Admin

Zenju

Of course FFS is moving files to the trash during sync.

LonnyJarrett

OK, thanks, so what files is it moving?????? I can't even find any such files on my computer. If I search other back up disks (them machine) I can't find them. An explanation will be appreciated....Thank you

LonnyJarrett

There are 60,000 files in trash now....way beyond any amount Ive ever generated or backup....

LonnyJarrett

I might have thought it was merely overwriting files....
Site Admin

Zenju

FFS uses the recycle bin (unless some other deletion option is set up) for all to be deleted and overwritten files during sync.

LonnyJarrett

OK, so I can delete these from the trash with no worry? Nothing mission critical in there? Can you briefly tell me why the number of files is SO high? I mean 60K files? Ive never generated that many.......It seems over by a factor of ten. Thank you for your time.
Site Admin

Zenju

It's your recycle bin, so you should know. Maybe they're from FFS, depends on what you've done.

LonnyJarrett

Im sorry but a more direct response is appreciated. Im backing up to an external disk that I've NEVER manually deleted anything from. When I back up, I can see FFS adding THOUSANDS of files to the trash. These files have names that DO NOT exist on the HD inside my computer. I can create a single new file, use FFS and watch it add 10 files to the trash with these long names. NONE of these files are in the trash if I disconnect the back up disk. EVERY ONE OF THEM is being put there by FFS. My back up disk seems to have all the information Im backing up to it so what are all these extra files? Any help appreciated. You must know how your software works? Thank you
Site Admin

Zenju

If you're asking these questions it seems you don't have a firm grasp of what FFS is doing and how it works. If files appear in the trash that you don't know about, maybe you've made an error in your FFS setup and are actually deleting files that you don't want to delete? For a general overview on how FFS is set up look here: https://freefilesync.org/tutorials.php

LonnyJarrett

Ive seen these. I rewatched "Mirror sync" which is what Im doing. It imparts in information as to why when I change a few files a great number more are added to the trash. Files with names that I can't find on my computer. File types that I can find. Simply, when I mirror by MacBook Pro HD to a backup disk, many files go into the trash that exceed the actual number of files Im backing up. I have over 60,000 files in the trash now associated strictly with my back up disk. The number that goes not the trash with each backup far exceeds the number Im transferring. Is there someone there who works with Macs who can explain this to me? What there files are with long names that I haven't created? The program isn't that hard conceptually and I've used such programs for 35 years. I just don't understand what all these files are going into the trash.....sometimes 5 or more for every file Im backing up.

LonnyJarrett

I meant to say it imparts NO information as to why when I back up my mac in mirror mode, many more files go into the trash than the number Im backing up. Surely you must have seen this? How could there be 60,000 files in the trash with names I never created?