realtomesync preventing hibernate

Get help for specific problems

malcy990

I have recently installed FreeFileSync on a windows 10 system. The system is set to hibernate if it is unused for 60 minutes. I am running RealTimeSync to monitor changes to documents, the changes being recorded to an internal HDD in much the same way as the Windows File History feature works.

I am very impressed by FreeFileSync, and RealTimeSync which I have launched from the windows TaskScheduler at user logon. It seems to work flawlessly ( so far ) with the exception that it prevents the computer automatically going into hibernate. If I quite RealTimeSync, then automatic hibernate works again. Hibernating from the windows menu works, it is only the timed hibernate that if failing.

Any ideas?
Site Admin

Zenju

RealTimeSync doesn't prevent standby, but FreeFileSync does while it's running.

malcy990

Looking at the running processes I can see that I have RealTimeSync running all the time. Once every 15 seconds or so, FreeFileSync runs for about 2 seconds. This is the case even when there is nothing changing on my system - nothing new is getting backed up.

My system will NEVER automatically go into hibernate when RealTimeSync is running. If I cancel the process then the automatic hibernate starts working again.

malcy990

I have solved the problem of no automatic hibernation.

I wanted to keep all my documents synced with a revision history.

I first setup a RealTimeSync for folder c:\Users\username with a filter of \Documents The sync works perfectly, but hibernation never takes place.

I then set the folder to c:\Users\username\Documents with a filter of *. The same data is backed up, but now hibernate works.

Why I am not sure - but at least I have a solution

Plerry

... I first setup a RealTimeSync for folder c:\Users\username with a filter of \Documents The sync works perfectly, but hibernation never takes place. ...
RealTimeSync (RTS) here monitors the entire folder-tree c:\Users\username for changes.
So any change anywhere in the user profile will make RTS trigger FreeFileSync (FFS) to run.
The (include) filter \Documents applies to FFS, but only becomes relevant once FFS has already been triggered by RTS.
... I then set the folder to c:\Users\username\Documents with a filter of *. The same data is backed up, but now hibernate works. ...
Here RTS only monitors c:\Users\username\Documents (and subfolders) for changes and, only upon detecting such changes, triggers FFS to run.
Any changes in other folder trees in c:\Users\username\ than Documents are now no longer being monitored by RTS and hence will no longer trigger FFS to run.