Orphan network drive

Get help for specific problems

steveb

Hi,

I'm running win 7 and have just installed a QNAP NAS. I set up a job to backup a filesystem to the QNAP drive which was set as the "V" drive on the Windows filesystem. When it came to backing up a directory FreeFile gave the equivalent of (can't remember the exact wording) - "directory doesn't exist it will be created" - and although that happened as it was visible within the QNAP file manager, it was not visible within the normal file manager I use, nor in the Windows file manager.

So, having thought it was my fault, I re-initialised the QNAP drive and started again, but now I couldn't use the "V drive" as the software said it was in use, looking in Windows Computer the "V" drive is shown as a Network Location but if I try to disconnect it I get a message that "This network connection does not exist" and the same if I attempt to write to it, or do anything else to it - nett nett - I have an orphaned drive which can be seen but does not exist !

Backups work fine if I make sure to create the destination folder first but doing a backup to a folder which doesn't exist at the time of commit seems to cause the problem.

Thoughts ?

TIA Steve B.
Site Admin

Zenju

the "V" drive is shown as a Network Location but if I try to disconnect it I get a message that "This network connection does not exist" steveb, 13 Jul 2018, 19:12
Sounds like a buffering-related issue in Windows Explorer. This should sort itself out after a system restart.

steveb

Zenju - No - Yes - Probably

Silly reply from me really I know but I did 2 shutdown restarts and nothing happened, but then I pulled out all USB connections and did a shutdown / switch off / on at the mains supply (something a friend of mine once suggested long ago on another issue) and then it was GONE !! So, you are probably correct, pulling the USB's may just be a nonsense, but thanks for your response anyway.

Regards steveb