Compatibility of different FFS versions

Discuss new features and functions

anielsen

Thank you for a great piece of software, which I have used regularly for many years and almost without any problems. I use the locaI version on two computers and the portable version on a USB stick (for syncing with a work laptop). Since the introduction of the Donation Edition, I find that the portable version over time falls behind the local versions, which I can upgrade for free. Thus I am currently running FFS 9.9 on my computers, whereas the portable version is stuck at 9.3. Now, I don't mind paying a little money every now and again to upgrade the portable version, but perhaps you (Zenju) could clarify in the FAQs the compatibility of different FFS versions. For example, is the latest version of FFS (10.2) compatible with earlier versions of FFS? Or should one always run the same version on all machines?
Site Admin

Zenju

You can use the Donation Edition portably, too, even the auto-updater works in this case, the same way it does for the local version.

That said, FreeFileSync is always backwards-compatible, meaning a newer version can read old FFS file formats, but the converse is probably not true. File formats like ffs_db don't change very often, but I would not count on them being stable.