Possible Bug FFS v10.2 - Hidden Folder

Get help for specific problems

Radish

Hello Zenju,

OS = Windows 7 Pro. x64 SP1
FFS = v10.2 (Windows x64) Build: 06/07/2018

I got a new flash drive and wanted to test it was functioning okay. As part of doing that I used FFS to do a backup of my documents partition to the flash drive. In my eagerness to test the drive I didn't manually create the folder on the flash drive into with the documents backup would made -- I just let FFS create the folder automatically itself. The folder name would be DOCUMENTS BACKUP

So I did that and FFS did create the folder correctly save for one aspect; the folder it created was a hidden folder. (I have my Windows setup so that I can always view hidden folders, so I could actually see the folder even though it was hidden.)

I then thought this might have some thing to do with this being a new flash drive and tried different means of creating folders on the new drive to see if they too were created as hidden folders. It all checked out fine, no hidden folders.

I then got FFS to do another identical DOCUMENTS BACKUP to a ramdisk to see if it would create a new hidden folder. It did create the folder, again, the folder was hidden.

Thought to post here so you can test on your own machine.
Site Admin

Zenju

Sounds like viewtopic.php?t=5275
I didn't hear back from the other thread and I'm not able to reproduce this from my side.
I suspect the source folder simply is hidden, so this attribute is propagated to the newly-created target folder?

Radish

Well no, there is no source folder, the source (left-side) is an entire SSD partition (with the exception of $RECYCLE BIN and System Volume Information etc. - filtered out by FFS) so I think no possibility of propagation that you mention. It's not a disaster issue, just thought it was worth posting.
Site Admin

Zenju

Maybe it's not "hidden", but related to permissions.

FreeFileSync 10.1:
Copy file permissions when creating base folders
Site Admin

Zenju

I was finally able to reproduce the issue on my side. It turns out that volume root paths advertise themselves as "hidden" and "system", which is then propagated by FFS. The next FFS version will skip trying to copy file attributes for root paths.

Radish

Glad you worked it out, Zenju. Glad you'll code a fix. "Polish the stainless mirror," as they say. Good work!