Default log path in v. 10.5

Get help for specific problems

fefisy

System: Kubuntu 16.04

The Options dialog/window shows the 'Default log path' as /opt/FreeFileSync/Logs. Upon hovering over the path "dummy" appears as a hint (not captured in screenshot).
FFS10.5-defaultLog-dummy.png
FFS10.5-defaultLog-dummy.png (50.26 KiB) Viewed 2496 times
Clicking on the path causes the following error because the directory wasn't created during installation:
FFS10.6-defaultLog-error.png
FFS10.6-defaultLog-error.png (20.81 KiB) Viewed 2496 times
I created the Logs directory in /opt/FreeFileSync/, which had to be done with root access. Now the directory can be accessed upon clicking the path in the Options dialog/window. However, when I quit the program, the following error occurs:
FFS10.7-defaultLog-permDenied.png
FFS10.7-defaultLog-permDenied.png (14.98 KiB) Viewed 2496 times
I realize that having the logs written to the installation directory makes sense for portable installations, but I don't see a way to alter the default log path for a desktop installation. /opt is not normally writable by users, nor should it be. Writing logs in a single, global location also does not work well if I need to use FFS as multiple users -- in my case, for instance, I have created two users for myself, one for personal use and the other for professional, and I need to keep the logs for these separate.

Hopefully I've missed something and someone will tell me how I can configure the default log path.
Site Admin

Zenju

The Linux package is currently always portable, because nobody complained so far. But it seems you're right and the default should be "local installation". I'll be changing that for the next version:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/quk5ysgq6amqjea/FreeFileSync_10.6_beta_Linux_64-bit.tar.gz

fefisy

@Zenju Thanks.

You may want to add the creation of ~/.FreeFileSync/Logs/ at the first run. Until this directory is created, FFS complains that the dir does not exist when one clicks the default log path in the Options window.

bgstack15

Would you please consider making the local logs directory underneath ~/.config or $XDG_CONFIG_HOME if defined? This would match the de facto standard of the XDG base directory spec.

Thank you for your efforts in writing and maintaining this application! I use it on Fedora Linux weekly. I could use rsync if I were doing command line stuff, but I use a desktop environment on a regular basis and appreciate the graphical application very much.
Site Admin

Zenju

XDG base directory specbgstack15, 18 Oct 2018, 10:35
Sounds good. I've implemented this for 10.6 with a number of other cool Linux features such as a unified package containing both 32 and 64 bit using a launcher, just like FFS has on Windows.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/3fgqmotcj7mw6y9/FreeFileSync_10.6_beta_Linux.tar.gz