Problems to eject USB Stick after synchonization

Get help for specific problems

cloullin

I am synchronizing files on my PC with a USB stick. When trying to eject the USB stick during the first 60 seconds after synchronization I will systematically get the error message "Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device. This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again." even though no program is open.
Also when trying to rename a file on the stick during the first minute it won't do. So it looks like the access to the USB is still locked by FreeFileSync during a certain time after completion of the synchronization.
I use:
Windows 10.0.17134
FreeFileSync 10.6
Kingston DTSE9 16GB USB 2.0 stick
Anker USB 3.0 7 Port Hub

cloullin

It looks like the problem is related to the NTFS formatting of the USB stick. I did so in order to avoid synchronization problems after a Daylight Saving Time switch, but now where I turned back to FAT32 the problem with the locked stick has gone.

Radish

You're lucky you only have to wait a minute.

For the problem of not being able to dismount the stick during the first minute you could try using Hotswap! and see if you have better luck with that. I use it all the time now as in the past it would successfully dismount a USB stick when Windows (in my case Windows 7) wouldn't.

I also use Hotswap! for dismounting HDDs/SSDs that I put in trays to do backups onto, also for USB HDDs. Works superbly well for doing that too.

I have no idea of a solution to being unable to rename a file during the first minute.