Sync between one usb stick and two PCs, sync.ffs_db error

Get help for specific problems

raindriver

Hello,

I try to sync folders between a desktop and an USB stick attached to a Fritzbox.
Furthermore I like to sync a laptop with the same folders on the USB stick.

In the result I would like to have the same data on desktop and laptop. Direct sync would be difficult as both PCs are not switched on at the same time very often.

Sync between laptop and USB sticks works without problems.
Sync between desktop and USBstick usually throws an sync.ffs_db error "second part missing".

Both PCs are running windows 10, freefilesync 7.7., all 64 bit, all involved filesystems NTFS, settings set to mirror on both PCs

Is this feasible at all?

Regards

Andreas
Site Admin

Zenju

Your scenario is solved by using the regular "two way" synchronization variant.

> Sync between desktop and USBstick usually throws an sync.ffs_db error "second part missing".

Are you manually fiddling with the sync.ffs_db files? If not, is this error reproducible?

raindriver

Hello Zenju,

thank you for the answer. I am not fiddling with the file and the error is reproducible approx. 80 percent of the cases.
Site Admin

Zenju

Can you send me the two sync.ffs_db files located in the two synchronized directories per mail when the "second part missing" error is shown?

raindriver

Hello Zenju,

I will do so tomorrow. I don't have access to the PC right now.

Regards

Andreas
Site Admin

Zenju

The first pair of sync.ffs_db files (USB1_sync.ffs_db, Desktop1_sync.ffs_db) are binary identical. This can only be explained that one file was overwritten by its counterpart by some other tool, maybe some other synchronization tool that is unaware of sync.ffs_db files?

The second pair of sync.ffs_db is error-free.

raindriver

Hello Zenju,

you made my day. I checked and I still had another sync software installed which I tested before switching to freefilesync.

Thank you very much for your help and have a nice week-end.