Ubuntu 18.04 - RTS notification in top panel?

Get help for specific problems

igetitnow

Hi,

On Ubuntu, I have set up RTS to run as a startup application and run my specified batch job. All seems to be working perfectly (i.e. changes are mirrored exactly as intended). However, unlike in Windows, I can't seem to find any notification icon in Ubuntu to indicate that the RTS client is actually running in the background? For peace of mind, it would be great if I could just have a little icon somewhere on the top panel showing that RTS is actually started and running:
DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20190422115424.png
DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20190422115424.png (8.5 KiB) Viewed 554 times
Is there any way to achieve this? Many thanks in advance.
Site Admin

Zenju

FreeFileSync is using wxTaskBarIcon for its notification icon, which works nicely on Windows, macOS, and Linux with KDE, but not so much on Linux with GNOME. I believe it's possible to make it work on GNOME by installing some extension or the like, maybe Google knows more.

igetitnow

Thanks! I'll investigate further and post here if I find a solution.

bgstack15

It's rather ironic that wxWidgets wraps around gtk (last time I checked anyways) but GNOME struggles with it. Supposedly the statusIcon component of gtk3 was "deprecated" in 3.14. If you're using any GNOME Shell newer than 3.14, I would be surprised if the status icon functionality exists. I know the bindings still exist in the library as of the (Devuan release) gtk 3.x (away from that machine) but it was in the testing release so probably 3.30.
GNOME has tended to remove a bunch of functionality but has added portions back as extensions or plugins or whatever the term of choice is. Yes, perhaps you'll need a Toolbar plugin for GNOME Shell.

I noticed the filename you shared is DeepinScreenshot. Do you know for sure which desktop environment you're using-- Deepin or GNOME Shell? If you don't know what that means, and you are using the bog-standard Ubuntu 18.04, then you're using GNOME Shell. The elements in your screenshot don't strike me as the defaults for GNOME Shell either the vanilla release or the Ubuntu defaults.

The options available to you to troubleshoot this might be different depending on which stack you're using.

igetitnow

Many thanks for your reply. I am actually using vanilla Ubuntu 18.04, but used the Deepin screenshot utility to quickly annotate the screenshot with the red arrow : ). So, I am pretty sure I'm using GNOME Shell? The elements in the screenshot include extensions I've added after the fact.