[Feature request] Detect file renames on Google Drive

Discuss new features and functions

HawkTroy

FFS can already detect file renames on local drives quite reliably by using file ID on supported filesystems.
However, it doesn't yet do this on Google Drive. A cloud side rename on Google Drive will be treated as a delete+new file.

Google Drive provides a stable file ID for each file, it can used the same way filesystems' file IDs are used to detect renames, and avoid unnecessary file transfers.
Site Admin

Zenju

The problem is Google drive also changes the modification time when a file is renamed. (This is stupid and) the result is that from an external point of view it looks as if the file content has changed. So this is more a design issue with Google Drive, which perfectly models a key/value store, but doesn't match well onto classical hierarchical file systems.

HawkTroy

> Google drive also changes the modification time when a file is renamed

I did not know this. This is unfortunate.

Upon further testing, I see that FFS can already detect renames on Google Drive as long as the rename is done by a client that purposefully preserves file modtime (e.g. FFS itself), so my "feature request" is already fulfilled. I'm very satisfied with this.

Thanks for the help and the software!