Notification Sounds Never Worked under Linux Mint

Get help for specific problems

allanr

I've been using FreeFileSync for quite a while now on a Win 7 PC and a Linux Mint PC. Very pleased with performance - except - I've never been able to get the "Notification sounds" working under Linux (file syncing is fine).

Linux audio is OK with all other apps.

Going into Tools > Options > Notification sounds > then browsing for e.g. "gong.wav" proceeds normally, but then clicking on the the play triangle doesn't do anything, neither does sound play after Compare or Sync.

I'm using the latest FreeFileSync/FreeFileSync_10.14_[Donation_Edition]_Linux.zip and open to suggestions.

Thanks, Allan.
Site Admin

Zenju

Sounds have been disabled on Linux in order to avoid the SDL dependency years ago. Much has changed since then, so let's give it another try:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/izulvkp5zr7try2/FreeFileSync_10.15_beta_Linux.tar.gz

bgstack15

I am away from my relevant dev machines, but I look forward to testing this. Is the program using Pulseaudio for the sounds?
Site Admin

Zenju

It's using SDL2 statically linked. Inspecting the ldd output shows no additional dependencies, so this looks promising.

allanr

Success !! FreeFileSync_10.15_beta_Linux.tar.gz provides working sound on Linux Mint C 19.1

Appreciate you looking into this so quickly.

Many thanks,
Allan

bgstack15

Would you please consider making this dependency a compile-time option, to statically link sdl2 or dynamically link? I could see some potential benefits if both are available.
Site Admin

Zenju

You have that already. Whether SDL is used or not (and how) is specified during wxWidgets build time.

bgstack15

I finally got to test the beta. It played audio for me as well, on Devuan Ceres (testing). I do have both pulseaudio and alsa libs installed.
Site Admin

Zenju

On openSuse Leap 15.1 the sounds did not work in my tests at first, but setting the SDL_AUDIODRIVER environment variable did the trick:
SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa ./FreeFileSync
Not sure why SDL didn't pick "alsa" automatically, when "pulseaudio" didn't work.
Site Admin

Zenju

Not sure why SDL didn't pick "alsa" automatically, when "pulseaudio" didn't work. Zenju, 25 Jul 2019, 08:12
Fixed. FFS will now support both ALSA and PulseAudio by dynamically selecting what is available.