Getting started on the correct footing ...

Get help for specific problems

PAL in Thailand

Dear FFS Users,

I have recently came across "freefilesync.org" on the Internet. From what I understand, FFS can synchronize folders and their contents at two separate locations. This sounds like a possible solution to a problem that I am facing. But I come to you seeking guidance and assistance to assure myself that what I want and most probably need to do is truly do-able.

My problem is this: The Windows OS on Drive C: of my laptop has been damaged to the point that I am unable to cut and paste, unable to move icons around on the desktop, unable to transfer files off to thumb drives or from thumb drives to any location in the laptop, unable to connect to the Internet, unable to search for any files on the laptop, cannot run the disk defragmentation utility, MS Word and MS Excel fail to register files when I try to open them -- all of which has left me with a HUGE headache whose sole repair option seems to perform a clean installation of the OS on Drive C: .

That in itself is no small item. I realize that I need to copy many of the folders and files now existing on Drive C: before attempting the clean installation which will wipe Drive C: clean and bring it back to some pristine form onto which I can proceed with a clean installation. I am hoping that FFS can come to my rescue!

The tools I have at my disposition are a functioning external 2TB World Elements drive, the latest FFS program and a functional Drive D: on my laptop which is quite full (but the laptop is unable to copy anything from Drive C: to Drive D: or to the external drive -- I keep getting a "read-only file system" error when I try to copy.

I have three questions:

1) Can FFS work with the basically damaged Drive C: and somehow copy/sync the contents of Drive C: with the external drive? (Everything except the Drive C: WINDOWS folder which is damaged).

2) If so, where should I install FFS so that it will work properly and do its job of synchronizing? Should I install FFS on Drive C: (seems dubious) or else on Drive D: or else on the external drive?

3) Are other other options open to me for getting the folders and files off Drive C: without having to image or clone the laptop's whole hard disk? I am not too keen to attempt cloning or imaging for lack of experience.

I know this headache is not a normal situation and that this problem may not be a high-priority item to your daily work, but I am pretty much at a standstill now as to how to proceed. I am an old gent of 76 years who is now stymied by a damaged Drive C: and I would GREATLY appreciate whatever guidance you might be able to give me so that I can get back to using my laptop as it was before the damage occurred. And frankly, I am at a complete loss to explain how the damage happened in the first place.

Looking forward to your reply/replies and kind assistance, I am,

Sincerely yours,
Phet Puthorn ( my Thai name )
or
Peter LaRamee ( my given name )
in Chiangsaen, Chiang Rai in Thailand

dutchdavey

Im not getting any replies to my problems either, so I thought the lest I can do is help you with yours:

1. I dont believe ffs will work if you already have issues copying files.
2. n/a
3. You have serious issues with your OS or with your drive. Really, you have an emergency and your only way forward is to take a copy of your C: drive, check your C: for errors, maybe reformat, and then reinstall.

Dont delay, secure whats left of your c: drive quickly before the problem gets worse!

Check out xcopy, for example:

mkdir d:\oldc

xcopy c:\ d:\oldc\ /e

PAL in Thailand

Hello DutchDavey!

Many thanks for your assistance. I agree wholeheartedly with what you've written and I had though that FFS might be a potential assistant in copying the bulk of my drive C:, however I am a bit puzzled by not yet getting a reply one way or the other from the FFS staff themselves. As you suggest, I will give 'xcopy' a try, but have the feeling that xcopy is going to be using or try to use drive C: in some way and the copying process will not take place. Whatever I'll give it a try and thanks for your kind concern.

Regards,
Phet Puthorn in Thailand

dutchdavey

Phet, robocoy would be another one to look at..(also part of windows)

Bets of Luck!

PAL in Thailand

Hi DutchDavey!

Would that be "robocoY" as you have written or "robocopy". I'm concerned that any program which relied on Windows will of necessity fail since my Windows OS is having problems with copying..... which is why I was interested in FFS.

Regards,
Phet Puthorn in Thailand

Plerry

I'm concerned that any program which relied on Windows will of necessity fail
If that is the case, you can best try to boot another OS from CD or via USB.
That may be a Windows PE environment, or one of the portable bootable Linux distributions or rescue distributions.
You can then use the file-copy (and possibly file recovery) tools available in that environment to try to rescue, and possibly recover, your files on your C-drive.
Try searching e.g. Google for "rescue disk".