double update

Get help for specific problems

dutchdavey

Im using ffs to synchronise a network copy of files with two local copies. (Two way)

Does the code recognise a double update scenario?

For example, a file which is the same in all localities.

User A updates the file locally and before this is synchronised, user B updates the same file locally.

Both users are running ffs to update the network copy

Whose changes get lost?

:-)

dutchdavey

For example:

File is identical in three places and has a modification date of Monday.

User A updates his local copy on Tuesday, User B updates his local copy on Wednesday.

ffs starts to work on both machines on Thursday and either:

1. User A's ffs copies Tuesday to the network and user B's ffs then copies Wednesday to the network, wiping out Tuesday's changes.

2. User B's ffs copies Wednesday to the network and then user A's ffs copies Wednesday to User A's machine, also wiping out user A's changes.

What should happen is that ffs should see by the second copy action that the file has been updated and should signal a sync conflict.

Does ffs do that?

Plerry

I never tried/used this specific use case, but I believe that if you use the Two-way sync variant, FFS should signal that both sides have changed since the last sync was run (between the two machines involved).
Assuming machine/user A and B are both in sync with network location N by running an FFS Two-way sync.
Assume File1 is modified independently on A and on B.
An FFS Two-way sync is now run between A and N:
As File1 is modified on A but not on N since the last sync between A and N, File1 is copied over from A to N.
Now an FFS Two-way sync is run between B and N:
As File1 has changed on both B and N since the last sync between B and N, this poses a conflict and (by default) results in a conflict popup, to be resolved by the user.

dutchdavey

Oh good, Thank you Pierry, this is exactly what I was looking for!

I can disable offline files from Microsoft, that is a complete train wreck.

Best Wishes from a rainy Holland..