Simple synch

Discuss new features and functions

Liazard

By "synchronize" I mean you have a set of folders and files in place A and have an exact copy in place B. Over time you will have added, changed, and deleted files in both places. When you synch them, you want to delete the files from place B that were deleted in place A and vice versa. Newer versions of files in place A should overwrite the older versions in place B and vice-versa.

How to set up FFS to synch like this? None of the preset options seem to remove deleted files to make the two locations match exactly.

Thanks!

Liazard

To clarify:
In other words, when files have been deleted from place A since the last synch (using Synch 2-way), FFS always seems to want to copy them back to place A from place B, rather than deleting them from place B. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

hoochalaffa

Every time FFS does a two-way sync it creates db files which, I assume, contain information about what files were, where they were located, modified times, etc, at the time of the sync. The second time you run ffs as a two-way sync, also guessing here, it compares your files at place A and B against the db files for A and B and determines which files are newer, deleted, moved, etc.

With that said, I have noticed too that files appear to be included in a sync when they're supposed to be deleted or when a file is moved, there are duplicate files both in the moved location and the original location.

My guess is that it has to do with how the files have changed since the db files were created. For example, if a file moves and is changed it may not sync properly (a ffs expert might be able to comment on this and comment better than me).

When I have run into problems like this, I break up the folder pairs into more specialized bite-sizes and run them at more frequent or less frequent times depending on my issues.

Alternately, you could use real time sync to compare folder pairs as frequently as you want and it'll keep folders up to date, as well as the db files, and you may run into the problem you're describing less-frequently.

I hope this helps.