Do not do versioning for updated files

Get help for specific problems

AnDoid

Hi all,
is it possible to do Versioning (i.e. Replace) for "deleted files" only and not for "updated files"?
To my understanding it is also moving files to a user-defined location for each file that has been updated (worked on) and not just for "deleted files".

Thanks,

Plerry

No. If you use versioning, all files that are replaced or deleted in the sync location are moved to the versioning location.

AnDoid

Thanks Plerry. Do you think this would be a difficult thing to implement?
Would be such handy functionality.

Plerry

I am not the author, but I can imagine the author will not be eager to implement this, as it sort of defies the purpose of Versioning.

But on second thought you may be able to do what you describe with FFS after all, but then in an indirect way, by defining two syncs with different sync settings, or alternatively by defining two left-right base folder pairs and use local sync settings (both are essentially equivalent).

Suppose you want to sync location A (the source) to location B (the destination).
You can now define define two separate FFS syncs:

- A first sync between A (left base folder location) and B (right base folder location), and select to have Custom sync with the following actions:
Category: Item exists on left side only, Action: Copy new item to the right
Category: Left side is newer, Action: Update right item
Category: Conflict/not categorized, Action: Leave as unresolved conflict (or some other suitable action)
Category: Right side is newer (this should never apply), Action: Update right item (or some other suitable action)
Category: Item exists on right side only, Action: Do nothing
and select to Delete files Permanently
(This will copy new items from A to B, and update existing items in B by their newer version (if present) in A without applying versioning.)

- A second sync between A (left base folder location) and B (right base folder location), and select to have Custom sync with the following actions:
Category: Item exists on left side only, Action: Do nothing
Category: Left side is newer, Action: Do nothing
Category: Conflict/not categorized, Action: Do nothing
Category: Right side is newer (this should never apply), Action: Do nothing
Category: Item exists on right side only, Action: Delete right item
and select to use Versioning as your Delete files method (defining the proper Versioning location)
(This will delete items from B that do not (or no longer) exist on A, moving the to be deleted item to a versioning location.)

and run these two FFS syncs separately.

Alternatively, you can define two left-right base folder pairs (using the green "+" icon), both left: A and right: B,
and define local sync settings (using the right Gear-icon in between each folder pair), select to use local settings, and define the local settings as described above.
You may now get a warning that there is an overlap between your folder pairs (which is correct), but you can ignore that.