Unexpected size data stream

Get help for specific problems

tomx2

Hello, I'm somewhat new to FFS, but have had success for a couple of months backing up folders on my android device to my PC. Then i started getting errors.

Cannot write file "C:\Users\GraphicsPC\Documents\My Documents\My Mobile Backups\eBooks\Atlas Of The Moon - Antonin Rukl.18bc.ffs_tmp".

Unexpected size of data stream.
Expected: 119701490 bytes
Actual: 4 bytes

A search here didn't find me a solution. Anyone have any idea as to what i am doing wrong? Not sure, but it seems that changing the comparison settings to "file content" should disable file size check, but not sure what the behavior or downside of doing so is.

I appreciate this program very much, anyone have any suggestions as to how to correct my issue?

Tomx2

xCSxXenon

That file may have a corrupted file header, causing FFS to be sent an expected size but then it is transferring a different size, causing the error. As far as why that could happen or how to fix it, sometimes corruption happens, try to manually move that file then try syncing again.

tomx2

Thanks for the help! I tried deleting all the files from my PC and allowed FFS to create new folders. Still no luck same errors. Not sure exactly what you mean by moving them, so i deleted them (the backup) instead and tried to re-create the backup. Am i not understanding something? (pretty sure that's the case!).

thanks again, tom

xCSxXenon

The error makes it look like that file is broken.

FFS says "How big is this file?"
Windows responds "119701490 bytes"
FFS then says "Cool, I'll copy that file to the destination, HEY WAIT. That file is really only 4 bytes, and I don't know what to do. I don't want to overwrite a good file with a corrupted file."

Try to move "Atlas Of The Moon - Antonin Rukl.18bc" from the source to the destination manually. Or temporarily move it out of the source to see if the sync continues without it.

tomx2

OK, will do. Seems, that if i deleted (as i did) the file, there would be nothing to compare to and the error would go away, even if it was corrupted. As in....So i now have one file (as i deleted the backup), i try to sync/copy to PC to back up the file (in essence, it should be as if i backed up for first time ever), still i get the error.

Thanks
Site Admin

Zenju

The error really is about the source file, but the error message mentions the target file, which is a bit misleading. Technically FFS implements a file system abstraction layer, so the target file (that's where the error message is generated) doesn't know the name of the source file.

Perhaps naming it "Unexpected size of source data stream" would help make this more clear.
Site Admin

Zenju

What happens if you copy the file from the Android device manually via Windows Explorer? Does this work? If, yes, what's the target file size after copying?