RealTimeSync cannot recoginze windows symbolic link

Discuss new features and functions

Arthur1217

RealTimeSync can recoginze windows symbolic link when first starting. However during its running, it cannot recursively recoginze the changing of symbolic-linked folder, which makes changing detection failed and file-sync failed eventually.

As is illustrated below:
1. a simbolic link is created:
mklink /d "F:\同步盘\OneDrive\OneDrive - Platinum\系统同步\DRIVE\E\DataSync" "E:\DataSync"
2. a file-sync batch is created:
1.png
1.png (151.05 KiB) Viewed 744 times
3. a realtime-sync task is created:
2.png
2.png (70.93 KiB) Viewed 744 times
In my opion:
When RealTimeSync is running in backend, it's changing detection code has a bit problem which make it behaves differently from when it's booting. Could great people check its source code and make it work for this situation? I'll be very grateful.

[PS]the comparasion algorithm might be simlar with below:
3.png
3.png (79.19 KiB) Viewed 744 times

Arthur1217

Thanks Zenju.
I had read the topic which you refered. However I has a doubt about the comparasion between RealTimeSync's(RTS) detection algorithm and FreeFileSync's(FFS) comparasion algorithm. When in FFS, it is valid for detecting any defference between the source and target directory (No matter whether there are symbolic links or not!). Isn't the RTS's changing detection algorithm different from the FFS's difference comparasion algorithm? Could RTS also use the FFS's method to satisfied the need?
Thanks a lot.

xCSxXenon

Arthur, monitoring a directory via a SYMLINK is not supported by Windows. It has nothing to do with FFS or RTS.
RTS change detection =/= FFS difference detection.
The problem here lies in what triggers the sync. FFS uses user interaction to trigger it, where RTS monitors changes to trigger a sync. symlink does not support that monitoring.

Arthur1217

Arthur, monitoring a directory via a SYMLINK is not supported by Windows. It has nothing to do with FFS or RTS.
RTS change detection =/= FFS difference detection.
The problem here lies in what triggers the sync. FFS uses user interaction to trigger it, where RTS monitors changes to trigger a sync. symlink does not support that monitoring. xCSxXenon, 23 Aug 2019, 15:03
I see. Thanks a lot, xCSxXenon.