Strange display: Logoff batch run only on v1903 Windows 10

Get help for specific problems

mcbsingh

Hi Everyone!
Searched the whole forum but couldn't find anyone reporting this issue.

For many years, I've been successfully running the Donation Edition FFS as a Windows Logoff-triggered batch file: at logoff/shutdown FFS would run to sync with my NAS and a graphical progress window would show what's happening. Flawless operation!

Now, since the version 1903 update to Windows 10, the FFS batch file will run but with an almost empty progress window: only percent progress and a few numbers in the window title bar. (Image below if I can load the file.)
Windowed.jpg
Windowed.jpg (182.75 KiB) Viewed 732 times
This has been the case with FFS v10.12 to the current 10.15.

To be sure it wasn't my 3 years old Panasonic notebook PC, I installed FFS on my wife's new Lenovo ThinkPad notebook with version 1806 Windows 10 and it ran fine, until her notebook was upgraded to version 1903! Now that also shows the blank progress window.

Does anyone know if this is a FFS or Windows 10 issue? I'm not running anything else at logoff so can't make an assessment.

Thanks!
Param

xCSxXenon

I'm guessing that is caused by the method that Windows is shutting down. It looks like either the display driver is unloaded, or dwm.exe(desktopwindowmanager) is partially shut down. You may create a batch script that contains two lines. The first that runs the sync and then "shutdown -s -t -0" that shuts the PC down after FFS finishes.
Site Admin

Zenju

I'm not able to reproduce this. I've set up a FFS batch to run at logoff via "Local Group Policy Editor" (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f9f011e2-59fc-42d3-a1a4-251536ce8287/i-need-to-automatically-run-an-app-at-logoff?forum=win10itprosetup), and the sync runs fine, but no progress window is shown: everything runs in the background while Windows just prints "Restarting".

swissbeer

First, sorry for my poor English ;-)
I have exactly the same problem.
But it should also synchronize if the user makes only logoff. If i solve this with the shutdown command, the computer will also shutdown when a logoff is performed.
Are there any other options?

Thanks!
Leo

swissbeer

Addendum:
This seems to be a Windows 10, build 1903 bug.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-text-display-in-shutdown-script-output-since/111d4d9c-6baa-49e7-b49d-51edc6b8b1b9

Hope ther will be an update soon. Thank you dear Microsoft.

mcbsingh

Issue Resolved: Windows Update fixed this last week.

swissbeer

Thank you very much for the information.
Can you still say which KB number fixes this? Thank you.

mcbsingh

Can you still say which KB number fixes this? Thank you. swissbeer, 06 Nov 2019, 11:15
Unfortunately not. Both my wife's and my notebook are in use now and I can't roll back the updates to identify the specific patch.

swissbeer

Can you still say which KB number fixes this? Thank you. swissbeer, 06 Nov 2019, 11:15
Unfortunately not. Both my wife's and my notebook are in use now and I can't roll back the updates to identify the specific patch. mcbsingh, 06 Nov 2019, 15:17
I figured it out. It is the cumulative update from 23.10.2019 with the number KB4522355.
And it actually solves the problem. Thanks again for the hint.