Cannot write sync.ffs_lock file error

Discuss new features and functions

tryitout

CONTEXT OF ISSUE:
running Realtimesync at startup with a batchfile
version is FreeFileSync 10.9 on a Windows 10 machine
The user that is logging in has admin level rights
we checked, and that user account has full rights (except special permissions) to several application data directories (in C:\Program Files (x86)\DATADIRECTORIES)
we want to sync these files to a separate local disk
the process works just fine for files in that user account's documents directory

ERROR MESSAGE:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\DATADIRECTORY/SUBDIRECTORY"
Cannot write file "C:\Program Files (x86)\DATADIRECTORY/SUBDIRECTORY\sync.ffs_lock".
Error Code 5: Access is denied. [CreateFile]

any suggestions?

I personally like your software...looking forward to doing some over the network/internet things with it

xCSxXenon

Admin permissions doesn't necessarily give you permissions to do anything anywhere. You either need to give yourself full control on the directory, or uncheck the option in FFS that locks a directory during sync

tryitout

Copy that - and thank you for the response.

I checked the specific rights of the principal (Administrators group) on a folder in Programs (x86) desired for syn.

(Applies to: This folder, subfolder, and files). It is of Type (Allow), and from what I can see it has all 14 Advanced permissions selected.
I then checked the Effective Rights for the Administrators group. All 14 discrete rights available are permitted on the directory by the Administrators group.
Im not sure what I could be missing in that regard.

I ran the sync as configured selecting the real time dialogue option to ignore the ffs lock error, but that did not work. I'll reconfigure the job to not require that lock, see what happens.

OH6IH

Good morning!

How do I change settings to ignore the ffs lock error?

Now I got following error (Error code 5)

08:17:06 Varning Kan inte ange mapplås för följanda mappar:
"D:\Filmer"
Filen "D:\Filmer\sync.ffs_lock" kan inte skrivas.
Felkod 5: Åtkomst nekad. [CreateFile]
"D:\Music"
Filen "D:\Music\sync.ffs_lock" kan inte skrivas.
Felkod 5: Åtkomst nekad. [CreateFile]

Plerry

You can prevent that error by changing the option LockDirectoriesDuringSync from True into False.

But likely that does not solve your sync errors, as apparently there is no write access in "D:\Filmer" and "D:\Music" for the user credentials under which you run your FreeFileSync sync task.
So, even if you disable LockDirectoriesDuringSync, you will likely not be able to write any other files in those locations, unless you change the access authorizations for, or run the sync as a user that has write access in those locations.
Last edited by Plerry on 17 Sep 2019, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.

OH6IH

Hi,

Normal FileSync batchrun is working...