How to run real time monitor completely hidden

Get help for specific problems

Malc-C

Just downloaded this application as the real time monitoring of the sync folders is something that is missing fro competitors offerings.

Not really knowing much about the software I had managed to create my first file share. I then set up the real time application and away it went. However even though the option to hide the console is ticked, the sync window pops up showing the data rate etc and then vanishes until the next time.

Is there any way to have the real time application run the freesync app without any pop up being displayed, as this can be most distracting when using the PC for other things

Cheers

Malcolm

xCSxXenon

When you save the batch file that it runs, there is a box you need to check that says "run minimized"
Site Admin

Zenju

See the "RealTimeSync" video: https://freefilesync.org/tutorials.php

Malc-C

Many thanks will have a play :)

Malc-C

Ok, I'm still having issues which I welcome suggestions on possible configuration setting that might be the cause.

Just to clarify, I have two PC's and a NAS on my home network. PC1 is downstairs, PC2 is upsatairs. I have set up a folder on the NAS that both machines have full access to. I have installed the application written in FilemakerPro on both machines. The database file is called Data.JJC. I initially set up FreeFileSync on PC1, set it to sync both ways and it made a copy of the database file in the folder on the NAS. On PC2, having installed the application I deleted the blank database file Data.JJC and then installed FreeFileSync and having entered the folders set it to sync both ways I clicked on the sync button, and the file in the NAS folder was copied to the installation folder on PC2 - so far so good

I created a batch file on both PCs and placed them in the command line box on both instances of Realtime sync. The problem then arose in that I edited the data on PC1. It compared the files and found the newer version on PC1 and copied it to the NAS folder. I had closed the application on PC1 and opened it on PC2. This is where things keep going wrong. Rather than seeing a newer version on the NAS and copying that over, it copies the older file on PC2 to the NAS, which is then picked up by the realtime sync application and overwrites the changes. I've tried custom sync settings but I can either get it to work one way, or manually have to run FreeFileSync to update, and that isn't much of a saving as running a basic MSDOS batch file or dragging and dropping the files manually to and from the NAS folder

I can't set up a direct sync between both machines as PC2 will not always be on.

I tried setting up two instances of real time sync each running a different batch file. One to copy from the PC to the NAS and the other from the NAS to the PC. So in theory it would read from the NAS first and update the version in the default installation folder before the second instance of copying that back so it's always in sync. But if the second instance ran before the first that screwed things up again.

Any suggestions ?

xCSxXenon

I would wager that you aren't giving it enough time to sync to PC2. If you go to PC2 and use the program, it is going to modify the Data.jcc file before syncing with the file that was modified on PC1 and synced to the NAS. If that happens, now the Data file on PC2, which doesn't have the updated version yet, will be newer upon exiting the application, thus syncing over the older, but more up-to-date data file.

Malc-C

I'll rebuild a batch file based on syncing between each PC and NAS and see what happened. The realsync had been placed in the startup so it should automatically load and run within the idle period of 5 seconds of the program being executed. I used to wait until the icon showed a data movement before launching the FM application.

I agree that the FM application must change the date an time on the database application each time the application is launched, and presumably this will be seen by real sync and then copied to the NAS which has the potential to overwrite the the file with the updated data from the other PC. I presume if the application isn't run, realsync will update the database file correctly as it will be older than the one on the NAS

Malc-C

Well it seems that we now have everything syncing. I did receive a conflict warning on PC2, but I deleted the data.JJC file which forced the update to push through the copy on the NAS so that both PCs were running the same version of the database. Changes were made on PC2, the upload to the NAS was observed by watching the icons in the system tray. I then came down stairs (which took longer than the 5 second idle period) and launched the application on PC1 and the changes made on PC2 were there. I made a further change on PC1 and left it a few minutes before going upstairs and opening the application on PC2 - the changes were there - so it now seems to be functioning OK