Detect moved files doesn't seem to work?

Get help for specific problems

ruze

Hi, I'm new to this forum so apologies if this has been discussed previously. However, when I enable "Detect moved files" it doesn't actually seem to detect them. It just deletes the old files on the target and re-copies the files from the new location on the source. I would expect it to rename the files on the target to the new location?

If it makes any difference, the target volume is a network mapped drive (Windows).

BazCuda

I had exactly the same problem...
viewtopic.php?t=6608&p=21869&hilit=feature+request#p21869

This is now working perfectly as a scheduled RealTimeSync.exe task.
In a nutshell, you have to monitor the folders one level up from any folders that will be involved in the moves, and then make sure those folders are included in the batch job include filter.

For example, I'm occasionally moving files from my L:\Videos\ folder to my L:\Music\ folder.
So, my realtimesync job just monitors the whole of L:\, and the batch job is set to include \Music\* and \Videos\*

If you'd like to give a bit more detail about your folder structure, and where files are being moved from and to, it may help in translating what I've got setup to what you need.

ruze

I only have one root folder (D:\Music and Z:\Music) being synced. It is creating the sync.ffs_db file also. Is that it needs to be a RealTimeSync and cannot be a batch sync job? Or could it be some settings?

xCSxXenon

I also have this issue sometimes. I sync between my OneDrive and some other local locations, but most times, moving a file or renaming causes FFS to delete and copy a new version. I think the problem is when something externally touches or modifies the folder. If I make a change on my home computer, it automatically updates the OneDrive at work, obviously. But that is technically a new file, most likely caused by the way OneDrive handles file moving/renaming. I would wonder if you have something other than FFS and explorer interacting with any files. I don't know