FolderAccessTimeout

Get help for specific problems

Riot

I just recently updated FFS after it being out of date for a while. Tonight when my batch backup ran it failed due to not being able to reach the backup folders. I have kind of a slow NAS that sometimes takes a bit to spinup the disks. In the past I had fixed it with adjusting FolderAccessTimeout. Thought maybe I needed to up it a bit but I find that it's now gone. So what do I do now to fix it?
Last edited by Riot on 30 Oct 2019, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

Riot

|10/20/2019 [8:00:01 PM] | Master Backup
|
| Completed with errors
| Errors: 2
| Items processed: 0 (0 bytes)
| Items remaining: 658,663 (782 GB)
| Total time: 00:02:28
|_______________________________________

[8:00:02 PM] Info: Using non-default global settings:
Verify copied files - Enabled
[8:00:22 PM] Error: Cannot find the following folders:
\\Moo\Backup\Meph Backup

[8:02:28 PM] Info: Comparison finished: 658,663 items found | Time elapsed: 00:02:06
[8:02:30 PM] Info: Synchronizing folder pair: Mirror->
E:\
\\Moo\Backup\Meph Backup
[8:02:30 PM] Serious Error: Target folder "\\Moo\Backup\Meph Backup" is already existing, but was not available during folder comparison.
[

Riot

So I used the retry option instead and it worked on the timeout error for waiting on the disks to spin up.

One big problem I see with this though is not only will it retry on the errors for the discs spinning up but it will also retry now on any files that it tries to copy that error even though I have ignore errors on. No big deal on a couple of files but if there are many file errors it's going to get bogged down retrying each file.

Any chance FolderAccessTimeout will make a comeback?

Riot

How about if it just started back over from scratch when it got an error like:

[8:02:30 PM] Serious Error: Target folder "\\Moo\Backup\Meph Backup" is already existing, but was not available during folder comparison.

?

Riot

Zenju?

xCSxXenon

Run a compare before the sync

Riot

Like schedule a separate compare before the sync?

xCSxXenon

If you have the script run a compare/sync on an empty/hidden pair, set a timeout in the script that waits for the time needed for the NAS to spin up, then have the actual sync start up. That way, even though it will retry for every file it has an issue with, it will be quick since the initial sync is with no or few files.

Riot

It's a shame to have to resort to hacks like that when the FolderAccessTimeout option worked perfectly.

I had also considered storing the ffs_batch file in the backup folder on the NAS so when the job started it would have to spin that stuff up to read the file.

Any idea why FolderAccessTimeout was removed? There's nothing in the changelogs about it.

xCSxXenon

I unfortunately don't know any specifics on that, but most likely it wasn't a feature that they thought was important enough to try messing with it while updating the program.