Sync settings, Replace, max time limit? (feature request)

Discuss new features and functions

primexx

I noticed that currently, if you select Versioning and Replace, it does not allow you to set a maximum age for the files. That means that the old versions can keep indefinitely adding up old deleted files taking up all the space. With Replace of course there'd not be any use for minimum or maximum copies, since there'd always just be one. however, there's still a use for a maximum age limit so that it auto-deletes any old versions that are older than a certain date. can this be added to the program? Thanks!

Plerry

If you use Versioning and Replace, the Versioning location is not cluttered with an undefined / unlimited number of previous versions of deleted or replaced files, but instead will just contain the very last version of deleted or replaced files. Hence, there is no, or at least less of a need to clean up previous versions.

primexx

will just contain the very last version of deleted or replaced files. Plerry, 29 Oct 2019, 08:58
yes exactly. so it will keep one copy of all deleted files forever, which is where a max age limit could come in useful so that deleted files over a certain age are permanently deleted.

as it is right now, old deleted files could take an indefinite amount of space as time goes on.

Plerry

You can easily do that yourself, either manually:
See e.g. here.
or automatically:
by executing a (batch) script/command regularly as a scheduled task.

primexx

thanks for the link! there's another workaround which is just to use file or folder versioning and set the max version to 1 with whatever max age you need, it's just less clean since it'd add an extra folder layer or rename the files.

i'm just suggesting a small feature addition, since the functionality already exists i'm hoping it's relatively straightforward to add to this particular configuration. it'd make it a lot easier and more streamlined to be built into FFS!

xCSxXenon

Even then "easiest" of features aren't easy to develop into existing code.
For the time beings, I would trust the "forfiles" cmd utility