Mirroring two sets of drives

Discuss new features and functions

ckay13

I’m an assistant editor on a feature doc and I have two sets of hard drives (main drives + back ups) for the recently completed project. I need to ensure that everything on the main drives is also on the back ups and vice versa. There are two main edit drives and three back up drives. They’ve been periodically mirrored throughout the project, apparently using FFS, so for the most part they match with the exception of the most recent project files, deliverables, exports and whatever else the editor has included since the last back up session. But I haven’t done this using FFS before and the person who has done it in the past has moved on from the project.

My main issue is that it’s not just two hard drives I’m comparing, I want it to compare and copy one set (1+2) against another set (3-5), since there’s about 20TB of footage that needs to exist on each set. But I find if I try and do the file comparison, I’m not sure how to map it so that it’s not comparing the differences between each individual drive.

Anyone able to guide me through the process of making sure everything is synced across both sets of drives? Or know of any good tutorials that explains this? I’ve taken a look at the program and played around with it but it doesn’t make a ton of sense to me and I’m terrified of messing up the files somehow!

Plerry

It depends on how you organized your hard-drives.
If your two main edit hard drives are set up as one single logical volume (JBOD or Raid0 or Raid1), and your three backup hard drives are also set up as a single volume (JBOD, Raid4), then each side behalves as a single drive and can be synced in one simple go.
If each hard drive is set up as a separate volume (e.g. each drive gets its own drive letter) it gets more complicated, and it really depends on how smart you divided your data between your two edit drives and three backup drives.
In the worst-case you need a sync with six left-right pairs, each pair covering the overlapping data parts between
the edit-disks (E1, E2) and the backup disks (B1, B2, B3). Pair 1 would then be E1-B1, pair 2 E1-B2, pair 3 E1-B3, pair 4 E2-B1 etc., and you would need to use local Include filters to define the overlapping parts. between each of those pairs.