sync.ffs_lock files are duplicating and not being automatically removed

Get help for specific problems

Uuan Treves

The Free File Sync is working great except for one issue that just started today. All of my selected files are syncing perfectly but when my iCloud Drive syncs the temporary "sync.ff_lock file does not self delete and every time I run the sync a new numbered sync.ff_lock file is added. If you notice in the attached picture there is a sync 2.ff_lock, sync 3.ff_lock and sync 4.ff_lock. If i sync again a sync 5.ff_lock will be added and the sync will be successful. However these files will not self delete for some reason. I can manually delete them and it still works fine, but it just ends up leaving an additional sync.ff_lock file the next time the sync runs. But the sync works fine all the test files mirror correctly. I am syncing several main folders but the only folder that I am having this issue with is the iCloud drive folder. I am using Windows 10
Attachments
sync.ff_lock files.PNG
sync.ff_lock files.PNG (19.5 KiB) Viewed 922 times

xCSxXenon

I believe I have seen this somewhere on the forums before and heard that it is being updated in a future version? For now, you can disable the lock file for that sync job.

Uuan Treves

Thank you for your help. It is a relief to know that it is not something I set up wrong. I can stop pulling my hair out. I will do what you said and disable the lock file. Thank you very much for your suggestion.
Site Admin

Zenju

For the record: the "sync 2.ffs_lock" file naming convention is not coming from FreeFileSync, but looks like some overly-clever hack done by the iCloud device in order to avoid clashing on the lock file name. This essentially breaks lock file usage, so it's still best do disable it in FFS's global settings (=> will be made a local settings in a future release)

xCSxXenon

Yes! I remember that being the culprit. OneDrive actually has something similar, but adds the PC name to the end instead of a number.