Not retaining synced files

Get help for specific problems

peaceridge

I'm trying freefilesync for my calibre library. My library is on my hard drive on my Windows 10 PC, my folder for backup is on an sd card. I am mirror copying. The first time I let ffs (freefilesync) mirror all my hard drive library to the sd library. Looked good. I made a couple of changes to my hard drive library and ran ffs. It could not find any files on the sd drive and wanted to sync all the files again. What am I doing wrong? I have not changed any initial settings except sync as mirror.

eric4479

Try doing a one way mirror option, or with just the left side copy and else nothing, also remember to have the program closed, could be a Database locked issue. I just had a loss file from I guess network transfer not syncing correctly, I seen an option "Detect Moved Files" that may help but should be a default possibly. There is a warning on the webpage about this and using sync or not the first time. On another error today, I did loose some small starter DB from a Calibre update, I hope all goes well good luck, keep backups. Maybe try some of the Calibre DB utils for backup or transfer wireless option they have.

peaceridge

I'm not sure exactly where I found this (I've tried so many things), but I did it and now freefilesync is working. Actually it is to get Dropbox working on a thumb drive, but worked for freefilesync. Just in case someone else has the problem and wants to try this:
Dropbox on a Thumb Drive
1. You can have your Dropbox folder on removable media (a flash/thumb drive) on Windows. If you have a flash/thumb drive, you will first need to mount it. This is done by:

a. Control panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Storage --> Disk Management
b. Right click on the flash/thumb drive, select Change Drive Letter and Paths…
c. Select add, then select Mount in the following empty NTFS folder, browse to your C:, select New Folder…
d. Name the folder "DB Mount", click OK, click OK, click OK. Close Computer Management.
e. You can now access your flash/thumb drive through its removable storage location (drive letter) or through the mounted location (C: DB Mount). Dropbox requires a local drive (the mounted volume).

2 Download Dropbox at: https://www.dropbox.com/install (You will have to signup for an account if you don't already have one).

3. If you have a flash/thumb drive, install Dropbox to the mounted drive in C:, named DB Mount. Select the this as the location for your Dropbox directory.

peaceridge

Prior to this solution, I had read everything and youtubed many videos, and tried every setting to figure out why it wasn't working. I am not uneducated in the workings of software, but nothing worked until I did the DB Mount - maybe it was another software or setting on my system that was causing the problem. Administrators just delete this entire post as obviously it won't help anyone else.