How sync ACL's AFTER initial copy/sync?!

Get help for specific problems

cloneclive

So I sync my 2.3 million files between shares, ticked "Copy NTFS..", all ran GREAT! I love it.

Only, now I need to re-compare and update/sync. Neither File Time/Size nor Content compare actually checks the ACL's!? So File A has a new user added with perm X, when I compare, it see's no diff, so I cant replicate the extremely important file again with its extremely important permissions change! Which I have now about 130K+ of!
Aaargh. HEEELP! Please someone, anyone....?

LoX

Hi
Same question. In my case, I gathered a lot of portable tools in a folder structure (let's say "source") with "Read only" ACL (to make simple) and then I created a copy of this set (let's call it "target") on another machine that I synchronized with FFS. Time to time, I discovered that some files (parameters ...) need "Write access" and thus I changed some ACLs in the "source". Now I would like to update the ACL on the "target" without copying all the content again. Until now, I never used the general option of FFS allowing to copy the ACL. I activated it and started a new compare. Unfortunately, FFS detects no change, no difference between the source and the target. I expected a way to detect a security change in the files but it is not the case.

If I copy again the whole source content to update the ACL, the problem will occur again and again each time I will discover new ACL to change in the source.

So my suggestion is to add a new way to compare files based on their ACL.

I must admit that this would be the icing on the cake for this very useful tool.

Kr
Laurent
Belgium
Site Admin

Zenju

nicbawt

I've had to do things similar to this for various reasons. You'll need to use something like robocopy. Test it out on a temp directory first.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2008/07/31/robocopy-mir-switch-mirroring-file-permissions/

Basically: ROBOCOPY <source> <target> /MIR /SEC /SECFIX