fail-safe file copy

Discuss new features and functions

bobby76

If I have this off during a power outage, then the files in the original location will be fine, right?

It's only the files in the destination that may get corrupt, right?

bgstack15

That's generally the case, yes. Reading a file in a modern computer system would not let it be in an indeterminate state that would be easily corruptible the way a file being written to would. That being said, nowadays most filesystems use a process called journaling, which means that they tend to write changes to an up-front area of disk and let the disk write changes later, which makes write operations way less likely to become corrupted due to random outages.
Site Admin

Zenju

journaling, which means that they tend to write changes to an up-front area of disk and let the disk write changes later, which makes write operations way less likely to become corrupted due to random outages. bgstack15, 17 Mar 2020, 19:28
Just to clarify: "pulling the plug" (either power outtage or cuting the network connection) has an about 100% "success" rate of corrupting the target file that is currently being written to, including all other files that have yet un-flushed changes somewhere in the caches (either OS or hard disk). Therefore fail-safe file copy is an absolute must-have option (at least if you consider your data important...)

bobby76

Thank you, bgstack, for the answer. I was more concerned about the original files over the copies.

And thank you, Zenju, for the wonderful program.

Webguy1

If I have fail-safe file copy off, the worst thing that will happen is a file will not get synced to my backup, right? And I assume that will be in the log? Then next time it runs, it will sync it?
Site Admin

Zenju

If I have fail-safe file copy off, the worst thing that will happen is a file will not get synced to my backup, right? And I assume that will be in the log? Then next time it runs, it will sync it? Webguy1, 08 Sep 2022, 19:43
No. The worst case is silent data corruption without any indication, and no logs.

Webguy1

Ah, good to know. Does this happen enough to be worrisome for the average "not essential" nightly "just in case backup" sync? Like the next night it will be corrected?