Recycle bin structure

Get help for specific problems

foxdon

Hallo,
I use FreeFileSync and it is realy great!!
But I have problem with folders in recycle bin "FFS *date* *time*" and I don´t
know, what is in this folders. I need to see, which files were deleted
sometimes.
Is any possibility how to browse (or just see) the contain of folder in
recycle bin? Only way I have found is to restore the folders, but it is very
very uncomfortable.
Thanks for your help
Site Admin

Zenju

I don't think there is a way to traverse folders in recycle bin. But it's
certainly something Microsoft should have implemented already for ages.

foxdon

And is it good idea to make it like this? Why was not good the old philosophy?
Till ver. 3.x FFS deletes "normally" - like common file manager.
Or is any possibilities how change setting of the FFS?
Thanks a lot
Site Admin

Zenju

Not sure if it is "good" but it's certainly *fast*, like 10 or even 20x! Calling the recycle bin API repeatedly is almost prohibitively expensive. Yet there may be a more user-friendly *and* (almost as fast) solution. I'm working on it...

Giangi

I've asked the same a long time ago, me too I prefere to see every single deletions instead of only the "father folder"!

ucaakashi

Since there have been a few responses against using "FFS date time", I wanted to add that I DO like this feature. The reason why I have found it helpful is that when I am troubleshooting with someone, I can very easily identify all of the files/folders that were removed during a FFS job.

Also, some people have very messy Recycle Bins, and so it is easier to locate this identifiable folder prefixed with "FFS".

I realize that I may be the minority, I just wanted to mention that this feature is helpful for some, and so if it is decided to no longer create the parent "FFS date time" folder by default, that a preference still be made available to allow for this.

Thanks.
Site Admin

Zenju

Okay, I found a way to avoid the inconvenience of the "FFS <timestamp>" folders in recycle bin without giving up on performance, or giving up on transactional behavior (=no risk of FFS leaving the directory structure in a bad state in case of fatal external conditions), keeping the GUI responsive and allowing cancellation at any time. FFS will now move all files located *within* the "FFS <timestamp>" folder to the recycle in a batch task, which is almost as fast as the old solution. Some numbers: moving 1000 files to recycler individually in my test case takes 33 seconds; the old FFS solution of moving the temp folder to recycler is < 1 second. The new solution moving the content of the temp folder as a batch task takes 2 seconds. A pretty good trade-off I would say.
@ucaakashi: Your scenario is still possible for most part, since the "source" directory shown in recycle bin now contains the "FFS <timestamp>" directory, so is at least visible.

Here is the new beta to test the new behavior:
[404, Invalid URL: http://freefilesync.sourceforge.net/FreeFileSync_5.9_beta_setup.exe]

foxdon

Great! I think it works fine. The true is that I don't care spent time for sync too much.
Your program is absolutely the best (possibilities, logging is fantastic, batch...just everything)!
Thank You very much.