Detect moved files over FTP?

Discuss new features and functions

nmkaufman

Should FFS be able to detect moved files when using FTP?

I'm doing a one-way sync/mirror from a remote FTP server to a local NTFS partition.

I have read/write access to both locations, and it's successfully creating the log files on both machines.

It does not, however, seem to be detecting moved / renamed files.

It's showing the file in the original location is deleted, and the file in the new location is added.

I've synced several times without moving anything, to make sure the log files are as current as possible, but it just doesn't seem to want to work.

Would this work better if the destination was the FTP, rather than the source?
Site Admin

Zenju

(S)FTP folder traversal doesn't return any file IDs, so move detection is not possible on these folders, unfortunately. Moves on the other side (e.g. a local disk) are detected fine however (e.g. NTFS <-> (S)FTP).

nmkaufman

I was afraid of that.

So I should be able to reverse the roles of the two machines, and have it detect moved/renamed files?

I'll lose the ability to have the machine sleep / shut down when it's done, but that's a reasonable sacrifice.

I'll try it the next time I'm due to do a sync. Thank you.

nmkaufman

I switched... everything, and it's still not working.

I'm running FFS on the source computer, now, not the destination.

I'm using SMB / Windows File Sharing over VPN, rather than FTP.

If I create a 'test' folder, and put a handful of files in it, FFS can detect renamed / moved files.

When I run a scan on my main folder pairs, however (which have >2M files) it does not work.

Is there a limit to the number of files FFS can keep track of? Is there a way to log, and see what's happening?