Move a syc folder configuration from one job to another

Get help for specific problems

fcoj

Hi,
the subject can be a little bit cryptic. Sorry for that, but English is not my mother language.
Let's see if I can explain myself.

I'm reorganizing my drives by arguments and, as I have organized sync jobs by drive, I would like to move a configuration (comparison settings, filter settings and synchronization settings) that I have done to synchronize two folders from a job to another without having to copy manually all the configurations.

Is there a way to do that?

RayJohnson

Not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish ... But, you can rename Configuration files from within FreeFileSync.
Also, since FreeFileSync configuration files are XML text files ... You should be able to edit them as you like, using Notepad. You can copy them, relocate them ....
But, as said .. I am not sure what changes you exactly want to make .... :-)

fcoj

@RayJohnson thank you for your prompt response.

Lets see if with an example I can explain myself...

OLD SITUATION
Disk_A
Folder_Music_1
Folder_Video_1

Disk_B
Folder_Music_2
Folder_Photo_1

I was syncing Disk_A with a folder in my NAS using Job_A and Disk_B using Job_B and I had specific synchronization settings for each folder inside a job.
Now I'm arranging my disks as follow:

NEW SITUATION
Disk_A
Folder_Music_1
Folder_Music_2

Disk_B
Folder_Photo_1
Folder_Video_1

Is there a way to move/copy any specific synchronization settings that I have in Job_B for syncing Folder_Music_2 into Job_A as I have moved Folder_Music_2 from Disk_B into Disk_A ?
Of course I'll have to update the origin path of the files as Folder_Music_2 is now in Disk_A and not in Disk_B anymore.

RayJohnson

I think the easiest way for you is to edit your configuration files with Notepad.
These files have the '.ffs_gui' extension, for 'normal' configuration files, or '.ffs_batch' extension for batch files.
If you open them in Notepad, you can change the left and right folder path names:
    <FolderPairs>
        <Pair>
            <Left>A:\Folder_Music_1</Left>
            <Right>A:\Folder_Video_1</Right>
        </Pair>
    </FolderPairs>
Change the paths and save this file.
(maybe make a copy of the configuration file first).

fcoj

Thank you, I'm going to work on those files directly...

fcoj

Ok,
I have copied <Pair> </Pair> sections from one configuration file to another, updated the path and a few exclusions and everything is working fine.

Thank you.

RayJohnson

Great! Thanks for letting us know.