[Feature] Keep folders locked until synchronization is finished or don't synchronize changed files

Discuss new features and functions

frankG

Hallo,
I just donated the other day to support this great project. However, I miss a feature that is really important to me: An "atomic" compare and sync operation.

Currently, a folder is locked during comparison and then again during synchronization. Imagine the following situation where A and B are client computers and S is a server that has all the files. A and B do 2-way sync to S so A and B eventually end up with the same files.

Imagine this:
A compares the files and creates a list of file operations. The lock file is removed after comparison.
B compares files, performes the sync and removes the lock again.
A starts the sync and works on the previously generated list of operations. It does not account for the changes made by B and simply overwrites the conflicting files with the version from A.

At least this is the behaviour I can see here and it is not what I hoped for. I can imagine some resolutions to this:
- Create the lock when starting the comparison, remove it only after sync has finished or the program exits. This may not be the desired behaviour for all users, so an option would be nice.
- Don't sync files that have changed (on either side) after the comparison, report if so.

Is there any chance such features may be added in the near future?
Sorry if I missed it in the documentation.

Thanks and best regards,
Frank

xCSxXenon

Have you tested this and experienced that behavior? I have a similar set up and FFS does let me know that some changes occurred after the compare/sync ran

frankG

Yes, that is what happened. No warning or anything like that. The intermediate file was overwritten although conflicting.