Can't See Veracrypt Container File

Get help for specific problems

wussery

I have installed Freefilesync 10.22 on Windows 10 and when I try to browse to the File on my D: drive I cannot find it because FFsync appears to only show folders. The container file I have created with Veracrypt is in my Root directory of my USB drive and is not within a folder.

Is this a feature or bug that I cannot select this file for Syncing purposes. I thought it might be a problem with me not mounting my container, but this did not resolve my problem. I was able to browse to the Virtual Drive and select that drive to be copied, but this is not what I want as I want to copy my entire container on a scheduled basis.

Using Veracrypt 1.24-Update6

wussery

I think I figured out a workaround. I named my Veracrypt container file as Private.hc, but could not copy this file to the Compare window in FFsync. It would only copy the Parent Directory, which in my case was D:. I then when into the Filter section and deleted the * from the Include list and added \*.hc

Since I only have one .hc file it found the Private.hc file. I then selected Compare and it showed me that there was nothing on the other side. I then made sure that Mirror was my Sync method and off it went. Five minutes later after syncing 20gb to my Google Drive, it was done.

I now need to figure out whether this is the Best Practice for copying a Veracrypt container. Should I be backing up the individual files from my Virtual Drive on a periodic basis, or should I just do the Entire container?

I also would like to set up a batch file to automatically check the change status of the container file and update, if changes have been made. However, I'm not sure if I can access the Container file if it is opened in Veracrypt?

xCSxXenon

FFS only supports folder selection, so Veracrypt files can't be synced unless they are mounted and given a path

kazink

Also make sure VeraCrypt's option to not update container file modification time is unchecked. It will prevent FFS from detecting that the files has been changed, and it will not sync. I had this problem.

wussery

kazink, I'm not sure why this is important to be unchecked? I thought the whole point of FFS is to sync your files when changes are made. What am I missing here? Do you have this unchecked because of the size of the Veracrypt volume as a several GB volume will each up a lot of resources and network time, if your sync location is in the cloud. What does FFS use to know when a file needs to be synced, if the modification time is unchecked?

kazink

I don't remember what is the option's checked state (I don't have VC on this machine to check), but it should be set to change the container time according to last write/access time.

FFS checks if the file has been modified by it's modification time (in the file's metadata) and size*. VC containers have constant size, as far as I remember, so the only thing FFS can determine the file modification by is the file's time stamp. If that doesn't change, FFS will think the file didn't change, and won't sync.

* - unless you set it to file's contents, but it is time-consuming, so I guess it's not popular.