Create destination folder based on info from source file

Get help for specific problems

OnsiteShawn

Hello, I tried searching for this but was not able to pinpoint anything that resembled my issue.
My source is a laptop in which we have images created from radiological software; it creates .tif and .jpg image files of the x-rays created.
Before we only had a physical server at our location that we used FreeFileSync to transfer these .jpg's from the source laptop to the destination server. The filter input I used was
\19*.jpg
(where "19" was the year the x-ray was taken and how we sorted them for inspection audit purposes, and also the year the Case associated with that x-ray was tracked). FreeFileSync would find any .jpg with 19 in front of it and transfer it over to our destination server and deposit it into the folder with the same case number in front of it. Example: case 19-001.jpg would be synced into case file folder "19-001 X-rays", where "19-001 X-Rays" was a folder that was already created.

This year, 2020, we started a SharePoint site for any case going forward and changed how we structure I file folders. My issue is with this new structure and SharePoint. We have the SharePoint site synced so it acts as if it is a folder on our desktops and FreeFileSync appears to be able to read there without issue. Can FreeFileSync create a destination folder based off the information of the file being transferred? Example: FreeFileSync finds "20-001.jpg" in the source folder, and looks at the "2020 cases" folder in SharePoint. It then finds the "20-001 Case" folder in SharePoint and creates "20-001 X-rays" for its destination.

OnsiteShawn

Follow up question: If it cannot create the destination folder, can it find a folder based on the info from the source file? "20-001.jpg" then finds folder "20-001 X-rays" and transfers the .jpg into that folder.

TommyTheTinkerer

Sounds like Mirror function with change tracking enabled. You should test a few examples.
I would imagine you have a parent "2020 cases" folder already on the laptop which ffs compares to the sharepoint "2020 cases" folder. On the laptop, each new case is in a new folder in that folder. So when you use ffs to mirror it to sharepoint, it would see that all the other folders exist with no changes, but the latest folder that was created for the current case is new, along with its contents, so it mirrors it accross, folder and all.

OnsiteShawn

Sounds like Mirror function with change tracking enabled. You should test a few examples.
I would imagine you have a parent "2020 cases" folder already on the laptop which ffs compares to the sharepoint "2020 cases" folder. On the laptop, each new case is in a new folder in that folder. So when you use ffs to mirror it to sharepoint, it would see that all the other folders exist with no changes, but the latest folder that was created for the current case is new, along with its contents, so it mirrors it accross, folder and all. TommyTheTinkerer, 13 Apr 2020, 21:23
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I do not have a "2020 cases" folder setup on the laptop, as the way our radiological software saves images is into a project folder under a main directory it created; "Incident Manager\20-001\" is how it is setup. So anything from cases in 2015 to 2020 are saved in there. I tried changing this setup once, but after speaking with the programmer on it and what followed, it messed everything up and I had to resort to a backup. I could file sync those into something that mimics 2020 case folders on SharePoint, and THEN sync that to the actual SharePoint folders, but I feel that's too much middle-man work.