*.ffs_batch vs *.ffs_gui

Get help for specific problems

cranbone

Hi,

I'm new to FreeFileSync, because my husband passed away and I'm trying to keep things going and employ FreeFileSync to a new computer. I'm fairly tech savvy, but more with Office software, so any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

I need help understanding the difference between the two file types, *.ffs_batch vs *.ffs_gui, and why I would have both. I've done as much research on FreeFileSync as I can, but haven't found any answers.

My fingers are crossed. Thank you!

xCSxXenon

.ffs_gui is a single job, where you can sync a single or multiple folder pairs as shown on the right side of the program. You can only run a single giu job at a time. A .ffs_batch file can contain multiple jobs and run them at the same time. So let's say you have two folders you back up, but not always at the same time. You can have a gui file for each and then run them independently. Or, you can BATCH them and you will have a job that will perform both of those in succession, instead of running one, waiting, then running the other. That is a simple example. Using RTS, a folder(s) can be monitored to run a sync when changes are made, eg. deleting, copying, etc.
Hopefully that provides some basic knowledge for you!

cranbone

That is very helpful. Thank you!