Slow synchronizig large group of small files

Get help for specific problems

airm

I did small test:
Folder with 1141 files and 18 folders, 14MB summary.
Copy time from nvme to NAS with FFS: 40s.
Copy time from nvme to NAS with Total commander: 13s.

Why such difference?
When it comes to synchro a lot of GB of such data there is big deal.

Plerry

FFS does a safe-file copying.
This means that if (pre)existing files are to be overwritten by a newer version, first the previous file is renamed into a tmp-file, then the new version is written, and only if writing the new version completed sucessfully, the previous (tmp) version is deleted.
If writing the new vesion would fail, the previous (tmp) version is renamed back to its original name.
This process requires several file-accesses, that for network connections to a NAS may include quite some latency.
For a few large files this overhead is (relatively speaking) minimal, but for small files can be more than the actual time to copy the file over.

airm

Thx for fast reply. I disabled "fail safe copying". Now time reaches 25s instead of 40s. But is still 2x slower compared to Total Commander 13s.
Any ideas?

OnePlusAndroid

I think that I always had fail safe copying enabled but since January I see some .tmp files in the Windows trash bin. That was not the case before. What might be the issue? I am syncing between the internal Windows SSD and an external HDD.

xCSxXenon

Why do you believe that's an issue in the first place?

OnePlusAndroid

Why do you believe that's an issue in the first place? xCSxXenon, 05 Jul 2022, 16:30
I am confused about so many files in the trash. They are too much to manually go through. Usually I am checking the trash before emptying it but that is not possible anymore.

xCSxXenon

Sounds like you are syncing a bunch of temp files that are being automatically deleted as they are supposed to be. Then, you sync again and FFS has to delete them from the destination and puts them in the Recycle Bin. You should adjust your filters to exclude .tmp files