Versioning - oddity or designed behaviour?

Get help for specific problems

Godmcgarvey

As much as I love FFS I have always had a problem with Versioning in that it will not remove old versions regardless of the rules in place.

I have run an experiment and backed a slightly changed test.txt file 4 times and this gave me three backed up versions with the correctly changed names to indicate date

For example test.txt 2020-06-23 172052.txt

My settings indicate Last x days set to 1 with no minimum or maximum.

I would assume after two days those versions would be deleted but they have not been even after 5 days. I have fun the Configuration file in both Compare and Sync even though there is nothing new to Sync just to see if that was a requirement.

They are only deleted when I save another copy of test.txt. This erases the three previous backups and leaves just one new one.

This would be fine if the same file is changed on a regular basis but what if a file is a one off or rare change? Would I potentially be left with an orphaned file years old?

Am I missing something very obvious or is this how it's been designed to work?
Site Admin

Zenju

What you describe sounds like the behavior of old FreeFileSync versions. In newer ones it doesn't matter which file gets updated: The whole versioning folder is checked for outdated items after sync, which are then cleaned up accordingly.

Godmcgarvey

It says Version 10.25.

I have coloured config folders in the left pane which I believe is a later addition

When you say it doesn't matter "which" file gets updated does it need at least one file updated even if not the one that has the versions I want deleted?
Site Admin

Zenju

does it need at least one file updated even if not the one that has the versions I want deleted? Godmcgarvey, 30 Jun 2020, 17:39
Exactly. If there is nothing to sync FFS will just skip the folder pair and make no attempt at cleaning up old versioning files.

Mobius

What you describe sounds like the behavior of old FreeFileSync versions. In newer ones it doesn't matter which file gets updated: The whole versioning folder is checked for outdated items after sync, which are then cleaned up accordingly. Zenju, 30 Jun 2020, 17:28
In which version of FreeFileSync was this behavior changed (so that I know which version I need to be on)? I searched the release archive change notes without success.