Inverting Base-Sub/Sub-Base

Get help for specific problems

minig0d

I know this problem can be tackled in a few different ways, however I didn't see a real clear explanation on whether this could/would work so I did want to ask.

If you envision a laptop and desktop bidirectionally syncing a base folder called "Pictures" between them and
all the subfolders inside there should sync normally, except one called "Screenshots" (which is easy enough to exclude).

But since each computer's screenshot's folder is different (and the software that captures them doesn't gracefully work right when files are placed in the main folder by outside programs, I'm trying to criss-cross the on the Laptop's main Screenshots folder into Screenshots\Laptop on the Desktop and conversely the Desktop's main Screenshots folder into Screenshots\Desktop on the Laptop.

(And while most people would probably do the criss-crossing as a one way transfer, in my particular case I need it to be bidirectional.)

I would guess that it would look something like this, but don't think it's right or necessarily the best way to do it?

Plerry

You are making it a bit hard on yourself by having the Desktop-, respectively Laptop-folder inside the respective Screenshots folders. But your setup seems correct for what (according to your description) you aim to achieve. I don't readily see an obvious (or even less obvious ...) other way.
I am not sure if you will not (still) get a warning about a potential overlap, but your Exclude Filter definitions effectively prevent such overlap, and thus any unexpected results related to an overlap.
So, if you still get he warning, you should be safe to ignore it.

But, like always, at least the first time(s), check the proposed actions after running the Compare and before performing the actual sync. Once you are sure everything is OK, you can save and run it as a *.ffs_batch file.

minig0d

You are making it a bit hard on yourself by having the Desktop-, respectively Laptop-folder inside the respective Screenshots folders. But your setup seems correct for what (according to your description) you aim to achieve. I don't readily see an obvious (or even less obvious ...) other way.
I am not sure if you will not (still) get a warning about a potential overlap, but your Exclude Filter definitions effectively prevent such overlap, and thus any unexpected results related to an overlap.
So, if you still get he warning, you should be safe to ignore it.

But, like always, at least the first time(s), check the proposed actions after running the Compare and before performing the actual sync. Once you are sure everything is OK, you can save and run it as a *.ffs_batch file. Plerry, 14 Jul 2020, 07:21
Unfortunately, they are kind of hard-coded into the application that writes to them so in this case I really didn't have a choice and have the program work as designed... but the good news is based on the reply to the other thread and your confirmation, I was confident enough in it that it would work (without risking trying to figure out how to move all the files back if it didn't work)... and happy to say it worked flawlessly as anticipated with those exclusions in place. Just wanted to report back in case anyone stumbles across this in a search.

Appreciate it!