Sync a big folder with multiple subfolders by filename

Discuss new features and functions

thetommywolf

Hello!

Is there any way I can set the FreeFileSync to sync files based on filename (even on multiple subfolders)?

My problem is: I have a big folder (let's call it "Folder A") where i keep a LOT of files, and then I have, on another location ("Folder B"), the exact same files, but in multiple subfolders (folders to keep the files alphabetically ordered).
So, I want to sync them based on the filename instead of going thru every subfolder and update it manually AND without making the Folder A, an exact copy of what I want the Folder B to be.

Is there any way I can do this in FreeFileSync, like, aplying a filter to include only files started by a certain letter?

I'm aiming for some syncing like this:
Graphic layout of what I want to do...
Graphic layout of what I want to do...
Graphic Layout.jpg (176.36 KiB) Viewed 857 times
Thanks in advance!

JDB

If I understand the issue correctly, I think this is not what any synchronization or backup program is supposed to do, which is to preserve order and enable recovery. Your destination is organized in some ad-hoc fashion without clear rules where files should be placed, nor where they would be restored to in the event of having to restore them. I think you will need to develop custom scripts, or find an application that understands what your source/destination rules are. You need some sort of proxy or filter between the source and destination in order to route the files to and from their proper destinations.

JDB

You could experiment with creating multiple pairs, varying the Include and Exclude filters. Set Include to select a set of files based on a wildcard, and Exclude to omit any files within that set that you don't want to copy. Depending upon how many destination folders you have to configure this way, it could be easy or complex.

xCSxXenon

What JDB said. You aren't backing up or syncing data in your provided scenario. There's no reason to have the files, presumably, sorted into folder to retain alphabetical order. You can do that in all operating systems at this point.