Incremental Recovery on separate systems

Get help for specific problems

csenek

Hi Everyone,

I have been using FreeFileSync to transfer data between an old server and a new server. I’ve installed the software on a workstation at the office and pulled all the data from it. I then took the backup drive to my office, and using FreeFileSync, restored the data to a data drive on the new server. But before I could deploy the new server, we found an issue in the OS which required me to wipe out the entire OS drive and rebuild. The good news is, the data drive remained intact, so my first run was still there. But now that FreeFileSync is no longer on the OS volume because it’s a clean install, when I reinstall it and attempt to only update the newer files, will it attempt to recover ALL the data, or is FreeFileSync able to just monitor file dates and will just recover the new data only?

I guess what I’m asking is, does FreeFileSync use an “inventory” file to monitor what files it’s already done, or does it just compare files on the fly? I’m just a little anxious, as deployment is supposed to be this weekend and we don’t have the time to recopy 6TB of data. So I’m hoping we only need to copy 200gb of new data.

Thanks!

csenek

Okay so I grabbed the backup data and decided I needed to know before the weekend and ran the backup. And the great news is, it only did the changes files! So it appears the software simply does a date and size check to compare files. Great software folks. Really well done.