Request : configuration box always in foreground

Discuss new features and functions

JPringle

I am using FFS on a PC with a double screen, the main window on one and I detached the Configuration box on the other. But when I work with other applications, sometimes the Configuration box ends up in the background, and there is no way to recall it: I have to minimize the windows in the foreground until I find it again.
Would it be possible to have a menu to recall it, or would it be possible to bring the Configuration box to the foreground by clicking on the main window?

xCSxXenon

Clicking the main Window on my setup does bring the config screen back up. I'm on the latest version, Windows 10 2004

JPringle

Thanks for your testimonial. Is it on a two-screen system?
For my part, I'm on Linux Mint 20, and for your information, if I put the Config box on the same screen as the FFS main window, put another application in the foreground and then click on the FFS main window, it comes back to the foreground... by covering its Config box.
Maybe a specific bug under Linux?

xCSxXenon

I actually have seven displays. I'm guessing OS differences. Even when the config Window is on the same screen as the main window, it still pops up both windows with the config on top.

bgstack15

How the windows react is a function of the window manager. When a sub-window forces the application's focus entirely just to that sub-window (regardless of which window is on top or not or if either is hidden), that sub-window is called a "modal" window or modal dialog. It is possible that Cinnamon (the default desktop environment in Mint) does not use a modal window, so that it does not force the focus to that sub-window. You should ask this on a Linux Mint forum, and report back here!
Although maybe Zenju would know if this is supposed to be a modal window (which it sounds like it is, based on xCSxXenon's experience).

JPringle

Thank you bgstack15 for this clear explanation.
I did the experience again with another application with sub-windows (GIMP) and clicking on the main window brings the sub-windows to the foreground as well, so Cinnamon knows how to manage modal windows, even on several screens.

JPringle

I discovered that if I put the detached window back into the FFS main window (Reset layout) and then detached it again, then FFS handles the configuration box as a modal window well.
But if I quit FFS and restart it, the next time I run it, the detached box is not linked to the main window again.
Surely a little bug somewhere...

Both with 11.1 and 11.2 under Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
Site Admin

Zenju

I discovered that if I put the detached window back into the FFS main window (Reset layout) and then detached it again, then FFS handles the configuration box as a modal window well.
But if I quit FFS and restart it, the next time I run it, the detached box is not linked to the main window again. JPringle, 04 Oct 2020, 01:47
Indeed this seems to be a bug in wxAuiManager::LoadPerspective when a panel is floating and only affects GTK (no such issue on Windows/macOS). Maybe this will be fixed with GTK3? (one could hope at least).