FreeFileSync fails to sync a file if it's name contains a '/'

Get help for specific problems

abdunnafialif

Linux doesn't allow filenames containing a forward slash (/). But google drive allows. I tried to sync a google drive folder with another google drive folder. The first one contained a file which contained '/' in its name. FreeFileSync failed to sync that particular file. So, I requested them to rename the file and now sync is working.

I just wanted to draw your attention to this fact, so that you can make this awesome software better.

bgstack15

I suppose that in order for this feature to be implemented, some sort of fool-proof conversion scheme is required. Is there a convention for this already? Would simply doing the html conversion to value "%47" work?

xCSxXenon

Slashes in filenames is really against proper conventions. Google should actually change that to not support it, not the other way around

bgstack15

I wouldn't call what Google is doing to be actual files, so who are we to decide what conventions they use?

Anyone with a Google Drive client, how does that client tool handle "files" with a slash in the name? I realize no official Google Drive client exists for Linux, but it does for Windows (where the slashes are backwards, but from which we can possible extrapolate a good way forward).

xCSxXenon

Files containing special characters will not appear in Drive File Stream on Windows, and will not sync into Google Drive.
Files with illegal characters won't sync to local storage

We aren't deciding what conventions Google uses, the technology industry is. Google should remove support for such characters to avoid these issues. For your issue, you'll have to rename the Drive contents to remove the illegal characters.

Here's some good info on Google Drive's "file system":
https://github.com/iwonbigbro/gsync/issues/53