Automatic delete files in source after copying?

Discuss new features and functions

jwalkerbg

Hello,

Is it possible to arrange such configuration (may be some kind of update) in which new source files to be deleted from a source folder after they are copied to a destination folder.

Why do I need this scenario? I managed to set up SMB servers on my routers. Every night they dump their configurations in local folders. RealTimeSync monitors these folders and copies the files. However, the free space in the routers is small, and I need to delete these files by hand every morning. It would be practical FFS to delete these files after copying.

Regards

xCSxXenon

Run a post-sync command that deletes the files

xCSxXenon

It's in the settings for your sync config

jwalkerbg

Yes, I think for a solution with post-sync command.
However I thought that there is some core solution in FreeFileSync.
Thanks.

Plerry

> However I thought that there is some core solution in FreeFileSync.
As the name suggests, FFS is a sync tool, not a move tool.
And just moving a file is not a task that makes much sense in a sync tool.
I see this question pop-up frequently, and always wonder why people would (like to) use FFS for such a "move" task anyway. What is the benefit of using FFS for this sort of task over a plain or more advanced file manager or a command-line instruction?

xCSxXenon

Very true /\
The best option is probably a small script the runs robocopy and then empties the folder afterword.

avchd

this post is perfect and is also very useful for my cause, as suggested today by xcsxxenon
after I published this post see:

Hi everyone, I am a new user of the program and I would like to be able to do the following things with the freefilesync software I ask you how to do if there is any example or even better if there is a configuration file to load for to be able to do it.

here is my project that I have in mind.
I have a data recovery program such as photos in raw and jpeg format from hard drives with software problems
I would like to save the recovered files in the ((Temporary Folder A)) and every time a file is transferred within this folder I would like it to happen with a trigger mechanism the synchronization in another ((Folder B files for upload)) on a second hard disk or better still upload it to a cloud system such as Amazon Photo using software such as Power Automate - Tiny Task - autoit or similar capable of creating a macro script with a series of repetitive actions.
However, I would need that once a file has been transferred to folder A this for a trigger mechanism by FREEFILESYNC the file is transferred and synchronized within folder B and then deleted in folder A.
I disagree when you say that this is a feature that is of little use for synchronization, instead I think it is something really useful if you put such an option inside the program without a command line it would be a lot useful, in the hope that the developer of this very interesting software will listen to my suggestion.
unfortunately I have no experience in programming and I do not know what command to give, is there a way to get in touch even privately with the components of the forum?
it seems to me that this option is not contemplated
if someone can help me I will be very happy, and for sure the ffs program will benefit from it in terms of publicity among all my numerous acquaintances.
thank you very much avchd

volker01

Why using ffs to delete files?
- ffs doesn't stop
- can handle very long paths
- writes a very good log-file
- can do that with batch-processing
- support Unicode

Why not using ffs to delete files:
- User should exactly know what they do, when not - they lose files ...

When you want to delete all the files in the source folder,
then you can do that with an extra ffs task:
Mirror an empty folder to the source-folder.
In the Sync-Options: Set Delete Files permanent.

But this task should only run as a separate ffs task, after the Main-Sync-Task has finished
and not as a second folder-pair;
And it should only run, when the ffs task ends with no error.
Therefore you can check the errorlevel from the first ffs Task (when running from a batch) ...