ERROR_CLOUD_FILE_PROVIDER_NOT_RUNNING

Get help for specific problems

Alomphega

Hello all,

I just found this amazing software I try to use on Windows 10 PRO, and I would like first thank and congratulate its developer.

The issue :
I was able to sync a big directory (~300 Gb with many subdirectories and almost 500000 files) between an USB drive and an internal one like a charm, but when I try to sync the internal hard drive with my NAS server I obtain a strange alert telling :
"ERROR_CLOUD_FILE_PROVIDER_NOT_RUNNING"
and after this, the files cannot be opened (read) within Windows explorer by a simple text editor, reporting a file problem.

More strange yet : when I quit "Backup and Sync from Google" software I can yet open the files, but after this when I run the HD/NAS synchronization within FreeFileSync, again the same alert "ERROR_CLOUD_FILE_PROVIDER_NOT_RUNNING" and of course I have to stop the sync.

nota bene : of course when I try to copy the same file from my HD to the NAS with the windows explorer all is fine : the file is copied and can be read.

Any idea of what happens and how to avoid the issue ?

Best Regards,
Guy

xCSxXenon

This occurs because the files is listed on your local hard drive, but it has not yet been downloaded from the cloud. When you copy from Windows file explorer. it fetches the file to download, then sync. Check your client settings, see if there is something that is trying to 'save space' or limiting what is stored locally

Alomphega

Thanks xCSxXenon, but alas I have nothing like this.
The sync was good with a USB drive, but while sync is on networking, it seems a temp file is created by FreeFileSync on the network target device which change the name of the original file, ie. something like "FileName.txt" becomes ""FileName~43a0.ffs_tmp" and it seems this kind of tmp file cannot be copied...
Maybe I have no understood what you say to me ? Please tell-me step by step because I do not see what I can do, and how I can do it.

xCSxXenon

Something is storing Drive data in folder "\\FREEBOX\Freebox\Drive\", or the NAS is hosting it directly, and the service that controls it is not running or working properly. What if you sync to a different folder on the NAS, not anything to do with the original path?

Alomphega

mmmm... IMHO this is a OneDrive/Windows issue.

On an other hand, when I try to do a direct Windows explore copy (of a previously blocked file within the FreeFileSync process) an alert tells me an error 0x8007016A... And if we search some "Error 0x8007016A: The Cloud File provider is not running" we can get a huge sum of unresolved issues since years, thanks to Microsoft OneDrive users and folks !

As you can see on this capture, after this sync try to the NAS with FreeFileSync - even with a simple SMB copy within Windows Explorer, so it is not FreeFileSync in fault - I have now many many files I cannot access anymore even with the Windows explorer :

So for me after many tries to resolve this issue, the only solution I think from now is to initialize my Windows PRO :-(

Thank you very much for the time you tried to help me.
Cordially,
Guy